Old 01-03-2007   #1
SLC, Utwah
nrs cooler mounts

Does anyone have experiance with a Down River Equipment frame and the NRS cooler mounts. The DRE frame has a bigger diameter tube than NRS's so the metal brackets dont fit correctly. It seems that I can bend the brackets enough to get it to fit but I don't have any idea if this will really work. I will be carying a fully loaded 150 qt cooler (beer) plus me (220 lbs ) so I don't want the brackets to start bending more and dropping my cooler on to my floor in the middle of the trip. I know this will probably void the warranty from NRS. Any info will be appreciated. THX, kris

AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #2
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just get 4 - 4ft loop straps. Put 2 under the cooler and 2 over the cooler. The 2 under it will keep it off the floor and the 2 over it will keep it in the raft if you flip, which I'm sure won't happen.
A lot cheaper than a NRS cooler mount.

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Or a drop bag with loop straps on top holding the cooler in.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #4
So you already have the NRS mount then? I agree with Andy, I would probably try to return the NRS mount if you can and get the DRE drop bag to fit your cooler;
about the same price. You alluded to sitting on it, a good cooler mount or drop bag will hold the cooler much more solidly than straps alone. You also might want to call DRE and see if they can custom bend an NRS type mount to fit their frame. I've seen a couple guys get custom work done there so they probably wouldn't have a problem getting you set up. good luck!
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #5
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with the drop bag being more secure than straps for holding the cooler. I've run both ways without a problem. Obviously, the straps are a cheaper option if that is a concern.
One problem I had with the drop bag was that the cooler sat deeper in the raft and it was hard to open and close the latches. I then put a piece of plywood in the bottom of the bag and that raised the cooler just enough to correct the situation.
One advantage to straps on the bottom is the accessibility to the drain if you prefer to drain water as the trip progresses, but that's a whole other discussion.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #6
SLC, Utwah
OSprey, you assumed correctly that I have the cooler mounts already (x-mas present). I had thought about the drop bag option and actually e-mailed DRE right before my original post. They responded first thing this morning (I also dropped NRS an e-mail at the same time but have had no response), they have not tested the carry capacity of the drop bags but said that is what they recomend. The guy who responded said he has never seen anyone using the DRE/NRS combo and had the same concerns about the brackets not holding up after being bent. I have been running the cooler with cam straps and with a $20 cooler sling but was not really happy with it (my dog finally ate it). I just really like the way the cooler mounts from NRS work. Thanks for the suggestions.

AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote