Old 04-20-2011   #11
Boise, Idaho
If you had to choose between mounts or a drop bag I would use a cooler mounting system. That said a drop bag would be versatile(I have 2). That said, I would just use 1'' cam straps. I use the cheapest(and maybe worst) ones on the planet(harbor freight) and 4 of those hold very well with no rotation. Having the correct spacing on your crossbars helps a lot, as well as cranking the straps.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #12
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've used straps, a drop bag, and the cooler mount. I prefer the cooler mounts on my 14foot vanguard (on the shallow side). There is plenty of clearance under the mounts. One side is fixed and the other is adjustable. I like that I can take the cooler out easily and not have to adjust anything. It also doesn't slide around anymore without tightly wedging it in place (this created problems for me when it was full and I was trying to drain it). I don't remember what I paid for them, but I think they were worth it. Happy shopping!

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #13
SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've used a drop bag with a piece of kennel flooring in it to keep the cooler from rotating.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I use a drop bag for the cooler on my Cat. Thanks for the yoga mat idea Whoapiglet. I'll give that a try. My cooler shifts a little bit, but not enough to be a problem. If I did get the NRS mounts, I'd definitely get the adjustable ones.
cataraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #15
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I like the drop bags. I have a custom fire pan I built that rides in the bottom with the cooler on top of it. Doesn't rotate at all. With mine there is also enough room to snugly fit a water jug standing up on one end. I also use a thin piece of foam(backpackers sleeping pad) on the bottom to protect the floor of the raft.
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #16
salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
you can buy 2'x2' connecting foam pad that connects together at costco for around $15
hpp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #17
Originally Posted by ngeoym View Post
I like the drop bags. I have a custom fire pan I built that rides in the bottom with the cooler on top of it.
you couldn't pay me enough to have to move my big ass rafting cooler again once it's in the boat.

at least until it's almost empty at the end of the trip.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #18
Othello, Washington
Paddling Since: 1975
I cut seatbelts out of a couple old cars & had an upholstery shop sew loops in the ends to slide over the frame sewed two straps to join them together under the cooler. Stable & each of the four I made has lasted 10 years or more.
dugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #19
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've been using drop bags, and I don't find them unstable at all, at least when they are strapped down. If you have a small cooler in a large drop bag, then I can see it being an issue. But if you size the drop bag approriately for the cooler, I like the drop bag apporach. In my case, I get a few inches on one side to stuff small odds and ends (water bottles, etc) as well.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #20
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
drop bags are going to cost a lot more than the NRS cooler straps ... for what its worth

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote