Mountain Buzz banner

Non-skid for plywood decks

14K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  cupido76 
#1 ·
There were a couple threads on deckboard materials and nonskid coatings (salt, sand, etc.) While looking at paint for a sailing skiff, I noticed this stuff. Might be worth a try.

KiwiGrip Non-Skid Gel

#2 ·
I'm making a seat-mount / camp table, and to try to make the seat side a little easier to walk on I sprinkled some of this on the 2nd coat of spar varnish...

BEHR - Non-Skid Floor Finish Additive - 970 - Home Depot Canada

... then added another coat of varnish (I didn't add it to the varnish directly as the instructions suggest). I'm not sure how it will hold up or if the texture will affect the how the varnish bonds, and I'm debating adding another coat of varnish but I don't want to smooth out the texture too much so I'm not sure. But at it stands now, the surface has a nice rough texture to it and I have high hopes.

I'll try to post a pic from home later tonight, and will report back on it's durability after the maiden voyage this weekend.

#3 ·
I was hoping that someone has tried the Kiwi-Grip stuff— $35 per quart is a bite. But I need to repaint the seats and floor of a wood skiff and figured there'd be enough left for the deckboards on my cat frames. Evidently you can vary the texture when you apply it.

I've used fine sand in epoxy or varnish, but the sandpapery quality isn't a good thing for seats, especially when you're sliding back and forth a lot to trim the boat, or for floors that you move around on while kneeling.

What's the Behr texture additive like? Tiny glass beads? Micro-balloons?

#4 ·
I'm not sure what it's made of and it doesn't say on the package (or if it does, it was on the corner I ripped off to open the package). But it just felt like very fine-grained sand. It's white-ish in colour, and the package says it will not change the colour of paint. I can confirm than the colour of my un-stained and varnished pine looks the same on the textured side as the non-textured side, with just a reduction in the luster.

It's designed to be added directly to the paint and then painted on, and in that case I think it would be hard to control the texture, but I just sprinkled some on and then put another coat of varnish on, so I had a bit of control over the texture. Because there's a coat of varnish on top of the texture, it's definitely not too sand-paper-like. Kind of hard to describe over text, but I'll report back after this weekends maiden voyage. I'll try to make sure I put my knees on it as well.

I'm sorry I haven't posted a pic yet, but I can't now as there's a coat of varnish drying on the other side... it will have to wait. :(

#5 ·
I have been searching for a non-abrasive anti-skid coating for the side boards on my frame project.

Here are a few links I have found:

Pachena (Kiwi Grip, same as Chips link but more info.)

Skid-No-More, paint with ground rubber bits. and Pricing.

Epoxyproducts.com, several options including bulk ground rubber that could be added to any coating.

I think I am leaning towards the Skid-No-More, as it is a quite a bit cheaper and can be tinted to a somewhat non reflective cool grey.

Seems like the rubber would be a good option as it would not abrade the dry bags/boxes that will be lashed to the sideboards. Anybody have any experience with the rubber bits?

#7 ·
I've used the Herculiner on my sideboards, it works great. It seals the wood, and gives a great non-slip surface. It can also be spray painted any color and the paint sticks amazing. When you are rolling it on you can vary the texture to suit your needs. Have had it in use for 3 years now and it shows no signs of wear. As "robks" said you can get it at any hardware store, Napa, Wal-Mart.

#10 ·
Chip, The Kiwi Grip data states it is an "acrylic" base which means nothing by itself but reading further the info says it cleans up with soap and water which can be a problem for coatings that are immersed in water for extended periods. Furthering the argument, the material you are wanting to protect from the elements is wood so a material that withstands water, UV, abrasion and will remain flexible is mandatory. If the Kiwi coating would break down say on an annual basis and need recoating for continued protection, an overbuild of coating thickness would occur in a few years and it has been my experience that water-soluable coatings can be a nightmare to remove. That is my 2 cents regarding your question and take it with a grain of salt as I have never used that product before.

To slip-proof my plywood floor, I used two coats of industrial epoxy sprinkling on the colored paint chips used in residential garage floor coating systems. I followed that with two coats of industial clear urethane for added durability. The finish can be had in any color, and is snagless while still providing a very slip proof surface. If you had to pay retail for these materials, they would be pricy...I am close to that business so I have access to project left overs.
Don

#11 ·
To report back from it's first weekend of use, the Behr non-skid additive help up very well on my seat board, and while it's not totally sandpaper-like, there is some roughness to it that could be hard on exposed skin like knees if you really pivoted with your weight there.

Overall, I'm very happy with the finish and the very small price paid to add this texture. It allowed me to only apply the texture to one side, and still keep the wood look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.