Old 08-29-2009   #51
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
That Greeley chick is a cool girl and a good boater. She is from the banks of the river she guides on and is sick of the idiots coming up here and ruining her day with their ignorance, arrogance, and boastful brandishing of their "Texas pride." She just wanted a No Vacancy sticker. I can't blame her.

I used to rock a red, white, and blue sticker that said "Go back to Texas, your daughter can stay!"

Flame on...

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #52
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Perhaps if she thinks rich out of state gapers are a bad thing, she should rethink guiding as a profession.

atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #53
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by atg200 View Post
Perhaps if she thinks rich out of state gapers are a bad thing, she should rethink guiding as a profession.
It's like bending over for your job and then complaining that it hurts.
(thanks for the insight Randy...)
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #54
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
As a Durangatang (born and raised) I get frustrated by the onslaught of out-of-staters too, but I have to agree that their money makes most of our small mountain towns go around. I'm a guide in the summer, too, and I rarely have paying locals in my boat.

I also consider Andy H's point- I'm not a 5th generation Coloradan, but only a 3rd. What if they had closed the borders before my Grandparents could get here (and they got here as fast as they could)? I want this option for other people's children too.

Still, I hate that they built an overpass to nowhere on Hwy 550 because our infrastructure can't handle the influx and they didn't bother to find out if they could swipe the land to continue it beforehand. Poor planning, to say the least.

The bumper stickers do make a point though in that there is nothing wrong with being proud of where we're from- I just prefer "Native" or even "Transplant" over "No Vacancy."

And yet, I will say this:
The 3 things Durangatang's hate the most are Texans with skis or guns, Californians with Uhauls, and New Mexicans with driver's licenses.

Just a few thoughts... Happy Monday
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #55
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Great dialogue. Way to open up that can of worms. If you think we (western slope) are going to divert any h2o your way, you're higher than the price of groceries. Western slope, grab yer weapons!!!
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #56
Guys/Gals, really need to understand that money, funding ect,, comes from all walks of life. Some you gona like and some not. The trick is the ability to put up with crap and still conduct yourself in a reasonable mannor. This make you a productive person with values.

I'm sure not all Texass folks give you a bad time, but some folks leave a bad taste, yea,,,!!
Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #57
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
good stuff here...

first off, i can't blame anyone from texas for moving here- i went there once and that was more than enough...

as a native i find it painful seeing the front range turning into a metropolis and watching southern/western colorado towns becoming cities... i'd rather people didn't move here--- just visited. but shit, if ya gotta move it, welcome! as long as you bring something to the party and dont suck...

my 2 cents
"Only the boring get bored...."
ldemuth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #58
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
IDEMUTH good attitude. texas smelled like the biggest garbage dump in the us. all humid and stanky not in a good way. id rather work at the shit factory in casper for the rest of my life than have to revisit texas.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #59
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1976
I am originally from Grand Junction and have lived and worked in Denver twice over the years. It was a fun place to live and enabled me to afford an outdoor lifestyle.

While I cringed at some of the goofs on holiday it is the nature of a tourist economy. People are spending hard-earned cash for a week or two and have been invited to whoop it up to some degree.

The locals (typically someone who had moved from elsewhere to Colorado) seemed to have garnered some divine right to decide who should live and vacation in Colorado. Though they gladly take a big tip and then talk trash about how stupid that "Texan" was for tipping so much. The habit of hacking at anyone from "Texas" or wherever really shows your ass. It is the mark of a true bigot.

You embarass yourselves and Colorado. No matter the circumstance, a little kindness and consideration would go a long way in your heart and mind. If not, you haven't really given up anything but a little bitterness and jealousy.

Have a nice day.
h8rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #60
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008

Okay... here's the solution for all of us. Go to Right there in the middle of the page, click to download the song "Gaper". Listen to the song. (then, buy the album. 'Cause Bones is a good guy and a great musician) Laugh your ass off, both at the song, and also at how stupid we are all.
I am currently rocking out my Colorado license plate "Gaper" sticker, right there on the side of my topper. Fucking hilarious if you ask me. If you want one, PM me. They are $3 but I think they go along way towards teaching all of us that are lucky enough to live here how to laugh at ourselves a little bit too.

captain pete is offline   Reply With Quote