Old 09-16-2011   #1
Nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2005
New to the forum, need boat advice

I am needing assistance with choosing the right boat. I have been paddling since 2004. Started with inter-coastal and ocean kayaking in south FL then moved to TN and have been river kayaking since. I currently have a Perceptain American 14.5' and a Heritage Red Fish 12.0'. Both are great for the relatively mild rivers I have been recreational floating down. But now I want to prepare for white water trips this spring.

I am 5'7", 170# and want a reasonably priced boat that will take me from white water noob (in Kayaks, have rafted many times) to pro... OK, that will last me a season before moving up in boat...

What would be some good boats to consider?

Also, what type of training /class should I do before jumping in?

Zukipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #2
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Should be a sticky on this; there are loads of threads on here you can search for.
But you really need to demo boats, because everyone is different (size, weight, preferences). Assuming a Remix 69 fits ok; that can take you from noob to pro.
Take a roll class in a swimming pool in the winter; get a solid pool roll, then practice rolling on the river every time out. Earplugs protect your ears from cold water (Docs proplugs are some of the best). You will want a good drytop sooner or later, and other coldwater gear; not sure about the water temps there; here it is icy in the spring when the water really flows. Stick to class II-III until you have a good fast river roll (combat roll), and a solid brace. Swimming class IV or harder is no fun (can be terrifying and dangerous actually), that is why most folks quit the sport.
Here is a good newb thread on a Utah forum:
Sage advice for newbie or inexperienced kayakers

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #3
Nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the information. A local friend also recomended demoing boats and the Remix 69. Sound advice on the slow progression. I have been through many rough rapids from TN to the Grand Canyon, but it was in a raft, so completely different ball game. The last thing I want to do it get in over my head with mother nature.

Thanks again for the advice,
Zukipilot is offline   Reply With Quote