Old 09-09-2010   #1
Fishers, Indiana
Paddling Since: 2010
New to Kayaking and have no clue one what gear i need.

Hello, my name's Brian Kern and I just recently bought a Whitewater kayak (Pyranha Rev). Sadly that's all I have so far due to the fact I don't quite know all the gear I need. What I do know is that I'll need a padle that's 194cm (don't know what material for the paddle), a PFD, a helmet, and a spray skirt (don't know what a good spray skirt is). If anyone can give me something like a check list or some ideas on what I need and what kind that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

bk282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #2
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Lets start at spray skirt. I would say one with a bungee rand for now. Just for the ease of on and off. If you have to wet exit, the bungee rand is much easier than a rubber rand. The Immersion Research Shockwave is a good skirt. Also has a strap so you can use your knee to open the skirt with. Snap Dragon and Wildwasser also make good skirts too.

Paddle: All paddles wear down over time. So buy something that is not gonna break the bank. I like the werner carbon paddles. Basically a Werner Sherpa is a fiberglass blade. I prefer to buy it with a carbon blade. The price difference is about $20 for carbon instead of glass. The plastic blades are cheaper but, they also flex and weigh more. Buy something that won't break your heart to throw away.

PFD: This is more along the lines of a comfort issue. You need to try on multiple vests. See which style fits best. You don't need a rescue vest at this time. At this stage simpler is better . Look at Stohlquist, Astral and NRS.

Helmet: All depends on how much coverage you want. They range from brain buckets to full face. Also, everyones head is different. This is another item you want to try on. Helmets that are comfortable on me may not work for you. Not saying this because of size difference but because of shape. Look at WRSI, Predator, Sweet Protection and Shred Ready. is a shop that has all the equipment you require. This way you can see whats out there and the cost of each item.

Welcome to WW Kayaking, be safe, I kow you'll have fun.

LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #3
Fishers, Indiana
Are there any other items that you would suggest me to get?
Old 09-09-2010   #4
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
A whistle.... You will need it when you swim. Trust me, I do my fair share of swimming
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #5
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Get used stuff, at swaps, kayak schools, or the classifieds here.. Just dont get anything ripped and make sure it will fit (make sure skirt fits your cockpit etc...). Also about a used skirt is it will probably leak some, check it over for anything obvious, ask about it from the owner too. That way you get in cheap , all good to go, then you can work on replacing stuff at your leisure and your pocketbooks liesure. Also that way you get some time to see whats out there and what you want. I do agree to pop the extra $3 for a whistle though..

Checklist.. Boat, Skirt, Helmet, Paddle, PFD (life jkt). Then you will probably want a wetsuit, some neoprene booties, fleece (several), and some sort of a splash top or dry top (dry top preferred, but kind of expensive).
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #6
Fishers, Indiana
what about kayak flotation or a binge pump? Also what is idea wear that i should wear while kayaking? Thanks a bunch for all this help. As you can see I don't know much.
Old 09-09-2010   #7
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Ya.. float bags are very very good idea... !!
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #8
N/A, North Carolina
Don't make my mistake and buy a nice paddle out the gate, buy a piece of crap cheap paddle that is comfortable... You'll probably loose it.
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #9
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I would reccomend buying a Helmet NEW. DOn't wanna take a chance with a headshot with a used helmet, even if whitewater helmets are made for low velocity/multiple impact, you never know how bad of a hit(s) a used helmet took.

No bilge pump needed, those are used mostly for open boats.

I HIGHLY recommend taking an intro course before throwing yourself on the river for the 1st time., or get some private/proper instruction from people with experience that know what they are doing. Is there a place in Indiana that does any classes?
If you're going to stick it out there, don't be afraid to get it cut off.
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #10
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Float bags for the guys who will be chasing your boat and a low end paddle. You won't be to bummed when you lose it. Get a sharpie and write your name & number on your boat and paddle, and inside your helmet.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote