New Pyranha Burn III questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-18-2016   #1

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
New Pyranha Burn III questions

Hello again! So what's the deal with Whitewater kayak's? Do they come out with a new model every year like a car? Is there a 2014, 2015, 2016 Pyramha Burn III? Or is the Burn III I just purchased several years old?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I think, with the burn they changed the design every few years to improve it. If I'm not mistaken that is the reason for the II and the III

Either way though you have a great boat, people really like the burn and it has run some of the stoutest shit to date.

Nice.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Burn III has been the current design for I think 3 seasons now. I have one, it's a great boat. If you look at the serial number the last 2 digits should be the year of manufacture.
Old 09-19-2016   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The Burn 3rd gen came out 13/14 season. I just replaced my 2nd gen Large with a 3rd Gen XL.

I would like to find a Burn Large 2nd Gen, if you know anyone who has one in good shape and wants to sell it.
Old 09-19-2016   #5

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Ok so there isnt a new model every year, got it. Thanks guys. I ended up paying $1500 for the Burn 3, helmet, pfd, blow bags, paddle, and skirt

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
The Burn 3rd gen came out 13/14 season. I just replaced my 2nd gen Large with a 3rd Gen XL.

I would like to find a Burn Large 2nd Gen, if you know anyone who has one in good shape and wants to sell it.
Are you saying you upgraded from the second generation to the third, and now you'd like to go back to the second generation?
Old 09-20-2016   #7

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I am writing from a C1 perspective. I like the new XL, but I also like the old 2nd Gen large that I have, but is cracking. I would like to find another 2nd gen large as it has the space to convert nicely to a C1 and I would use it in shallow creeks, when the water comes down.
Old 09-20-2016   #8

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
I just bought a gen 3 burn L after 6(?) years of paddling a gen 2 burn M.

I have still not gotten comfortable in the new boat after maybe 30 days boating in it. I have moved the seat around, but still find the boat to be fairly unpredictable. At first, I had the seat too far back and the boat handled like junk. I moved it forward and it got better, but still not as predictable as the gen 2. In my prior boat, I could set it on edge and drift through anything with almost 0 chance of flipping. In the past month I have flipped more times in the new boat than the past 3 years! The new boat has scared me off harder runs that I used to lap solo because how unpredictable I find it.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
squeaks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #9

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks2 View Post
I just bought a gen 3 burn L after 6(?) years of paddling a gen 2 burn M.

I have still not gotten comfortable in the new boat after maybe 30 days boating in it. I have moved the seat around, but still find the boat to be fairly unpredictable. At first, I had the seat too far back and the boat handled like junk. I moved it forward and it got better, but still not as predictable as the gen 2. In my prior boat, I could set it on edge and drift through anything with almost 0 chance of flipping. In the past month I have flipped more times in the new boat than the past 3 years! The new boat has scared me off harder runs that I used to lap solo because how unpredictable I find it.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
The only reason you should be flipped while on edge is if you are going slower than the current. Is it possible your apprehension of your new boat has caused you to paddle a little slower, which is causing this issue?
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #10

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
What you say makes sense, but the problem is that prior I would paddle very little and would typically just drift through rapids on edge. I could just let the water push me where I needed to be

With the new boat, it seems much harder to get the boat to sit on edge, and even when it is on edge, it gets pushed around. This makes sense because the boat is much larger and sits way higher in the water.

Just, the difference in the boats behavior was astonishing.
squeaks2 is offline   Reply With Quote