New Pyranha Burn III questions - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2016   #11

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks2 View Post
What you say makes sense, but the problem is that prior I would paddle very little and would typically just drift through rapids on edge. I could just let the water push me where I needed to be

With the new boat, it seems much harder to get the boat to sit on edge, and even when it is on edge, it gets pushed around. This makes sense because the boat is much larger and sits way higher in the water.

Just, the difference in the boats behavior was astonishing.
Are you paddling the right size? I think their weight ranges changed in the transition to third generation.
Try paddling instead of drifting when you go through rapids.... paddling helps....

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016   #12

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
I am in the weight range for the L burn, 185.

Obviously I paddle sometimes, but on the prior version I found it to be very stable with little speed relative to the water. This allowed me to use the water features to push me where I needed to be.

In my experience new burn requires speed to be stable.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert so I have no idea if my experience is reasonable or not.
squeaks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #13

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:

Obviously I paddle sometimes, but on the prior version I found it to be very stable with little speed relative to the water. This allowed me to use the water features to push me where I needed to be.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert so I have no idea if my experience is reasonable or not.
Your problems seem unusual to me. My first thought is that you need to be in the XL. I paddled a first generation and second generation Burn in a medium. I am 158 lbs and 5'7". I now paddle a large third generation. I find with the seat all the way forward and raised up that my center of gravity is perfect. I also find the new design more stable, faster and smoother to boof than the older designs. The added rocker makes it less likely to catch an edge. I also find that I can drift through more turbulent water with nothing but a brace than I could with the Burn II.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016   #14

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:

I will say that the Burn series in general is gear more towards those who like to keep some speed. The edges make it a carving machine.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016   #15

Pollock pines, California
Paddling Since: 1999
some thoughts

I think if you prefer to float and brace, you should go up a size to the XL. at 160, I have spent some tie in both boats, and while they don't need to be driven very hard, they still need to be moved. I definitely find that I can be lazier in the XL compared to the LG, where I have to always have a bad in the water for it to paddle well. That being said, it is still a boat that you can float some with it.

I think that a lot of this comes from the fact that I was taught to be an aggressive paddler, so I have more fun driving a boat. I know a lot of people who have a more passive paddling style who love paddling the burn as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions for me to answer.

Ian Janoska
Pyranha Kayaks
Ian Janoska is offline   Reply With Quote