Old 10-31-2010   #1
New Paddling Shoes

Okay so I'm needing a new pair of paddling shoes/booties I have heard the stohlquist cavemans and the kokatat seeker are both nice and 5.10 is def bomber although its on more of the pricey side right now plus might just wait for the new SAR to come out in November but as far as paddling shoes that keep you warm and protect your feet during portages what are your opinions or ideas guys im in a creekboat too if that helps with decisions

blissedkid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
i have the 5.10 savants and they are the bomb.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #3
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I use a pair of Reeboks that I got at a thrift store. The sole is nice and strong, protects my feet from rocks. The booties don't dry out very well, but you can't beat the price, and portaging is very nice.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #4
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I wear the Stohlquist caveman booties. Love the traction and the comfort. The rubber on the heal comes up quite high so wearing a lycra sock at least is a must. On cold days I wear neoprene socks. Plus the socks make it alot easier to get the bootie of your foot.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #5
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #6
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I use the Teva Avator shoes, and they work great. Good traction, durable, and they shed water quickly thanks to the little holes. Had them all season and I think they will last me quite awhile.

This time of the season, I wear thick hiking socks under the dry suit for warmth. Between my drysuit, hiking socks though, it can be a bit of a squeeze, but I forget about that small discomfort once I hit the water.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #7
The Bitterroot, Montana
Do NOT buy the teva cherry bomb. I lost a pair of NRS boots that were great. I got the cherry bomb thinking they looked tough for portaging and they fit well. After one season the soal is almost compleatly worn through. Thumbs down teva.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #8
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
5.10s are obviously money.

Mid way through last season teva finally replaced my Avators. They had the problem with the soles before..what montuckyhuck, myself and many others experienced.

They claimed they have since remedied that problem(something about the glue i think they said). I've had a bit of use with them so far and they seem to be doing fine...before, the soles were peeling apart and getting holes in them.

We'll see how they do over the long run cause its a great shoe otherwise. Sturdy, great grip, pretty low profile compared to the 5.10.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #9
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I haven't had any problems with mine. I got them about mid-summer.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #10
5.10 was showing the Water Tennie at Outdoor Retailer this past summer. Prey that enough units were ordered to bring it back to production b/c it's still the greatest of all time...

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote