Old 01-07-2014   #11
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Eben had a few more to look into, and I use automotive door edging from auto zone. its 15 bucks for 30' or so, and i use about 10" per paddle blade every few months.

I think deepsouth nailed it, move to washington!!!

this might be my last year in colorado too, more than paddle wear or boat breaking.

I gotta paddle! im losing my mind right now... skiing does not do it for me any more.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by mattoak View Post
What do you mean you can't stomach AT?
And I only ask because I'm also in the market for a new paddle
My main problem is I find them unreliable. I have a running joke that every time someone breaks a paddle I ask if it's an AT and I recall only one time that it wasn't. Some people point out that they have great warranty service, which was my experience as well, but it doesn't do me much good when I'm in a canyon with a broken paddle. Note that they actually now offer a yet more expensive version that is supposed to be the version that won't break - that doesn't bode well for the non-tough branded paddles. I also don't like the way they feel as much, esp. the low end ones (person preference) and that the good ones are pricey.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #13
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Werner is top notch
Also check out the new AT, the Geronimo and Hercules models, the blades are using a new construction which seems really bomber, I tried smashing it with a hammer and could not break it.
Whatever you choose, I hope you swim and lose it.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #14
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Werner is top notch

Whatever you choose, I hope you swim and lose it.

Is there anything more personal in gear than your paddle? Have to share cuz no quality paddle conversation should happen w/o mention of the very best...

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've had my CARBON fiber powerhouse for 7 years with minimal edge wear. Spend the extra $40 or whatever for the carbon and you ain't regret it... And yes I've abused the crap out of mine in a lot of CO mank

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ok, thanks for all the feedback. I don't know what I'll get, but I'll meditate on it this winter. I think a better test of those new AT blades would be to see how well they handle jamming off someone surfing Tunnel with you. If it passes that test I may be sold.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #17
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I bought a Werner powerhouse last year and it snapped in half like the 8th time I used it. I was gettin worked in a hole and bracing when it snapped. Swam and came up with half a paddle in my hand and tossed it cause I wasn't really thinking about a warranty at the time. I didn't get a new paddle but they did give me a pro-form for one. I guess that's pretty good customer service.
livin_tll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #18
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
KSC...have you seen the new AT's? Their bomber and I mean bomber. Not going to break and I'd put it up against any paddle for longevity, wear, and not breaking.
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #19
Bakersfield, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Rhino liner has worked well on fiberglass powerhouse blades. Used on low water out here in Ca and shows no wear. No change in the feel or weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2670703621.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	535.3 KB
ID:	7541
Rushing661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #20
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I know a lot of people worry about AT reliablility. The best paddle with the best warranty is the AT2 Superduty. Lifetime warranty on the shaft. I have about 200 days on mine and it is still in great shape. Blade show very little wear and I have been happy with this paddle. It's a little heavier and stiffer than other options out there. As with anything light and flexible things tend to break.

coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote