Old 05-20-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
new oar tower advice?

I need to get some taller oar towers for my NRS frame.........I have the standard NRS towers, but need taller ones.....I am in Denver and DRE and AAA have very similar designs close location...........any advice/opinion re the DRE versus the AAA stability,durability, angles, whatever? they will be used on my smaller tube size NRS diameter frame (Both DRE and AAA do both/either smaller and larger pipe sizes) thanks, Chet

CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
DRE towers will put your oars in about the same width as the NRS but higher- AAA is opposite so your oar lock spacing will be narrower.

I'd go with whichever spacing works better with your oars you currently have so you don't create a new problem.

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011   #3
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
can you ask the dealer if they will let you try them out at least on your assembled frame sitting on your inflated boat? return in a day or so if not satisfied?
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #4
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Why not just buy the NRS 8" tall oar towers. They work great.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #5
depends on how much height he wants, the tall NRS towers may not have enough rise. I also have the 8" but am contemplating going to the 11" DRE towers. They can be customized for the height you want too, unlike the NRS.

Question on those though to piggyback off the OP, are the NRS/AAA towers easily moved?? My dilemma is that the cover I have for my raft won't fit unless I fold the oar towers down, which is easy with the NRS just loosen one of the bolts and push it down. Any issues with doing that with the DRE towers or removing the post repeatedly?? thx.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #6
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a similar problem. I am switching from an NRS seat bar with high back seat, to a AAA flipseat bracket/high back seat. It puts me slightly higher. I have used the 8 inch NRS towers when I rowed just from my dry box and they worked fine. I'll see how they work with the new seat bracket????? I might be in the same position as the OP, looking at taller towers.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #7
Boise, Idaho
Just make sure you guys spend lotsa money on oar towers : ) Adjustment for all modular oar towers is self explicable. Gary at rowframe makes his own...the sky is the limit once you know what you're doing. The higher the gear, the harder the beating during a flip, which is what it's all about(especially if you're rich). If you like DRE/AAA/(even rowframe) get the Clavey towers(and your own fittings to save $)
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
just checked........the Clavey are no cheaper than the AAA or DRE oar towers......both can be gotten without the fittings.........on to check with Gary...........thanks, Chet
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #9
In fact the Clavey looks more expensive and without the fitting included.

I've never used the speedrails since I have all NRS frame stuff, just didn't know if repeated loosening and tightening caused any issues.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #10
Boise, Idaho
The setscrews do dig into the metal, but the damage is minimal. I think one would have to try pretty hard to compromise the structural integrity of a frame. In this genre of towers, Clavey are the best IMO. Gary will have the lowest price for sure, not to mention how custom his stuff is. One may even be able to buy a couple pieces from him and make their own oar towers.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote