Mountain Buzz banner

New Kayaker - Boat Advice

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tskoe23 
#1 ·
I'm just trying to narrow down the list of boats to demo for fit, etc.

I'm 5'9" and fluctuate between 185-200# (usually around 190#). I have slightly longer legs for my frame. I have been river rafting a bunch but took up kayaking only recently. The only hardshell I have been in was a Dagger Mamba 8.5, and while I liked the stability, it didn't feel right on me.

I live in Denver, so I'm looking for a boat I can run on the South Platte and other rivers in Colorado with level 2 and 3 rapids as well as doing some playboating. I'm obviously a few years away from attempting something extreme. I'm not going to be dazzling anyone soon with acrobatics on waves, and I'm still working on my roll (so a boat that has easy rolling capabilities would be great too).

What has been suggested to me is the Jacson 4Fun rather than a creek boat. I was curious as to other LL, Dagger, etc. products that might fit well into this range and would be good to learn on.

#4 ·
I'm 5'9" and fluctuate between 185-200# (usually around 190#)...

...I'm looking for a boat I can run on the South Platte and other rivers in Colorado with level 2 and 3 rapids as well as doing some playboating.

...What has been suggested to me is the Jacson 4Fun rather than a creek boat. I was curious as to other LL, Dagger, etc. products that might fit well into this range and would be good to learn on.
Sounds about right. Go for the Fun.

#5 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. Just kind of starting out, and looking for something that runs class 2 and 3 and can surf well with the ability to possibly run some class 4 in the future as I progress.

Seems like the river running playboats are what you are looking for.

Check out the:
Pyranha Varun
Jackson Fun series
Wavesport Fuse
Liquid Logic Freeride
Fluid Spice
possibly the Dagger Axiom and Pyranha Z.One (though they are a bit longer than the others mentioned, but still something to check out).

There's probably some that I'm forgetting, but those would be great IMHO for class 2 and 3 and some playing/surfing on the way down.

#7 ·
You will love this boat. The seat is awesome, I mean "Bad Ass". Smooth chimed edges (easy to roll). Plus great volume in the knees and the stern. Great for river running and playboating. The best thing about this boat in the Bad Ass Outfitting. Let me know your thoughts after you demo it skysooner.

#8 ·
OP. go find a current design YOU like from a reputable company. Sit in it for 30 minutes. If your ass don't hert, you found your boat. Keep in mind that not all project 62's feel the same. This goes for all boats. The cooling process can shrink a boat at different rates. So, it is important you sit in the boat.

#9 ·
OP. go find a current design YOU like from a reputable company. Sit in it for 30 minutes. If your ass don't hert, you found your boat. Keep in mind that not all project 62's feel the same. This goes for all boats. The cooling process can shrink a boat at different rates. So, it is important you sit in the boat.
Okay, so once I find a design that feels right (in this case the LL Freeride) then when I want to buy a new boat, go ahead and sit as they are all going to be slightly different sizes after cooling during the manufacturing process.

#11 ·
If you haven't purchased yet, you may also want to try the Dagger Axiom. I also just started this year. I purchased a Demo boat last fall not knowing what I was doing & bought a great boat-just too big for me. I have a Dagger Axiom 9.0 which is great for men. I'm a small woman so the Dagger Axiom 8.0 is perfect for my size & is great for river running & play. I'm going to sell mine as soon as I find a smaller boat for myself-but love both the Axiom & the Liquid Logic Remix. They both offer comfort & stability & track well. I'm limiting my search for the perfect boat down to those 2. I'm in Durango, too bad you are so far away or you could try mine out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.