Old 06-12-2005   #1
New guy looking for info.

I'm 6'2, 240lbs and wear a size 11 shoe. Trying to find about kayaks. Am I too big for them, Should I pursue another sport? I tried one but couldn't fit.

I would really appreciate any information anyone could offer.

rnurse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #2
I think virtually every company makes a whitewater boat that would work allright for you. Given your weight, you would do well with a boat that had a lot of volume. Boats that might work for you:

Wavesport Diesel 75
Liquid Logic Gus
Pyranha H3 255
Dagger Nomad/Mamba 8.5
Jackson Rocker/Superhero

.. and there will be more that could work. So sit in a few and good luck learning. People often reccomend boats from manufacturers that they work for so it's good to keep that sort of thing in mind.

ps Some

johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #3
Welcome to kayaking.
I'm a bigun also but not as tall I paddle an older Dagger Honcho. I'm 5'11 240 sz 11 the seat is set in the middle setting and I have about 6'' of foam filling the foot well up so I can touch, I think it would be a fit for your height but they are kind of hard to come by and kind of tippy for a new paddler. I spend alot of time swimming while I am learning to roll but it is a great River Runner/ Surfer for my size.

I personaly would tell you to stay away from a Nomad as it has a round bottom while all the other boats listed have a flatter bottom to a new paddler that means eazyer to turn.
Dagger GT 8.1
Wavesport Super EZ it felt huge to me.

Alot lot of the local Shops have demo boats go talk to someone and try a few more you'll find a fit.

Confluence Kayak - Don or Jon
Mountain Mizer - Gary
Alpine Kayak - Mark

I don’t know if you have heard of us, we are a group of Newbies, Rusty’s and Class 2&3 boaters from on the Front Range.
There is always someone from the group out paddling something mellowish somewhere, days, nights and weekends. Check out the link and join us for some fun, roll practice or maybe even a swim!!!

Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote