Old 04-11-2009   #1
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
New Convertible Oar Rights

Has anyone tried the new convertible Oar Rights? These now allow you to switch between fixed and feathering.

Oar Right

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
So I know this wasn't your question but I highly recommend that one simply learns to row without them. In short order you can just feel when the blade is right even in the thick of class V. Fixed blades won't give when striking a rock or strong eddy/hole which can break the blade or your shoulder.

Feathering is not just for wind when the blade is out of the water. You can slightly feather the blade underwater getting more power from your stroke!

I won't get into insulting anyone with training wheels comments (I used to use them) but you have to give it a try for a few runs before you really see the benefits of no oarrights.

Finally one more anecdote: I was in Futaleufu and got a chance to run the safety cat for one of the outfits and one of the guides asked me if I needed oarrights and I said "no" and he was very relieved. So you can and should row class V big or small with totally open oarlocks.

maybe this style of oarright can get people weened off them?

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #3
prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
my two cents:

i agree with mania. the sooner you get to open oar locks the better boatman you will become. (IMHO)

started with the standard oar rights for a few trips and then we cut off the ends of the oar rights with a hack saw blade.

there is so much more that you can do with open oar locks.

86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #4
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Here's a rubber version for wood oars— probably attached with nails. The clip is from the <> catalog. To search it on their website, key in the part #OAR0300.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oarstoprights.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	1235

I used the hard plastic Oar-Rights my first season rowing (after many years paddling). The first thing I disliked was that when you dip a blade in the water it's fully engaged. If you dip one oar by mistake (coming off a drop) it can spin the boat.

Being able to keep your oars in the water feathered can be a good thing, besides other advantages: less windage, more natural stroke, and rotation of the grips is easier on hands & wrists (i.e. if the grips don't rotate, your hands do— blister city).
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #5
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1807
Originally Posted by riverdoghenry View Post
Has anyone tried the new convertible Oar Rights? These now allow you to switch between fixed and feathering.

Oar Right
I use fixed oar rights but not the convertible ones. On the up side it sounds like a good idea to have the option to use or not use them convienetly. The down side is it has a moving part so it will require maitinence over it's life opposed to the fixed ones that are maintenance free.
I like using oar rights because it helps prevent carpal tunnel syndrome by allowing me to loosen my grip on the oars over long flat water section. I can row longer with less fatigue.
Bruno Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #6
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't use oar rights on my sport cat b/c of the reasons stated above, but I do use the convertibles on my big cat and love them. Those long flat water sections become easier plus you can let anyone row your boat through them while you sit back and drink a beer. When the rapids come switch seats and lift up the oar right. They seem well built, I've had mine for 3 seasons including one sandy trip down the Grand.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #7
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Keep in mind folks that some people may have wrist issues and oar rights can make a huge difference in strength and pain. Speaking from experience.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #8
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
I use them so that I can flip them down when someone else is rowing, and up out of the way when I am rowing. Everybody wins.
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #9
Colorado Plateau Metropolis, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I Have some, and have used them a bit. Ultimately I do not like them. When they are up, they do not have a smooth roll. When they are down, they can easily get stuck in the oar locks which defeats the purpose.

But, if you have a beginning rower at the helm they can easily be up or down depending on the situation.

I started hating them much more after rope wrapping my oars. There is no comparison. Rope Wrapped oars feel soooooo much better.
portercassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #10
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
People that row open oars are the epitome of total badass, the mark of a true, hardcore, seasoned and almighty boatman. Chuck Norris of the river raft rowing badass!

"Can you row open oars"? "Yes." "Okay great." "For a minute I was worried I might have to spend 45 minutes teaching you this fine art."

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote