Old 01-12-2014   #41
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
.... It is like putting a VW Bug engine in a Porche 911. Sure, you could do it, but ... the 914 actually HAD a VW engine

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #42
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Schutzie loves this time of year.

Everyone has put away the gear for another year.

They've ordered the special non warping, non rusting, waterproof, super strong.............stuff..............that they will apply to their time for next year.

They wander about their garage, reliving past years adventures. They lovingly stroke their PFD, recalling how strong and secure they feel when they put it on. They resist the urge to slip it on, to feel the cool stiffness of the material against their skin...................

What to do, what to do, spring is SOOOOOOO far away! They lament

AHA!! on Mountain Buzz some wit has brought up Oar Rights VS Open Oars!!

Oh My GOD!! I have an opinion!! Something to help with the boredom!!

They run into the room shouting PINS AND CLIPS ARE FOR SISSIES!!

Cmon folks, yeah its January, yeah, it's still 4 months away, but really, this is what we've been reduced to??

Fighting over which system of attaching oars to our rig is the best we can do??

How about videos of those riotous times last year that are still in your GoPros that you haven't even looked at?

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #43
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Oh Schutzie! You make me not even want to start a thread How Should I Attach My Umbrella?
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #44
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
I know how to occupy everyone for the next couple of months;

Start a thread; should protected classes have first access to river permits?

I think we need an affordable Access Act; you know, a law that would require everyone to get permits, even if they don't think they'll need them, or want them. And a highlight is, if you like your permit now, you can keep it.

Start a discussion about why some people have no access to the river, or any gear to go, and others spend their entire summers floating along on an amazing variety of gear, all of it first quality (read expensive) and how we maybe could spread the wealth around a bit; you know, make things more fair.

(Schutzie runs away before the storm begins)

Then he runs back;
Seriously; I wanna see all those GoPro productions of trips this year. CMON you sluggards, get to work!

(Schutzie sees the lynch mob coming and runs away)
Old 01-13-2014   #45
Searching for water....., Nevada
I think the convertible oar rights are a little too "swinging both ways" for Schutzie
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #46
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Look Schutzie......on the horizon......could it be.......the dreaded "should I drain my cooler" thread.

You think the oar right discussion is bad, just wait! Bad things happen when river rats get bored. We resort to fondling our PFDs, and fussing over the best way to float a giant inflated pool toy down a river. How many days until spring?
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #47
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
How many days until spring?
It is 54 degrees with a bit of blue sky and the McKenzie is flowing 5700 cfs. Should I go boating this afternoon?
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #48
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Schutzie recalls those days!

We'd sit around the freezing office, cause, you know, there was no money for propane, and reminisce

D-9 would say; remember fire pan Carol? Holy Moly!!, good thing Doc was on that trip...............

Ferguson would rouse himself to answer the phone, and if it was someone he knew he'd promptly fart into the mouth piece as a funny greeting. We never understood how he could then hold a conversation with whoever it was that called............

Gary would comment; "Schutzie, when are you going to replace the keg at your house? The pop machine is out of beer again....."

Greg would whine, "yeah, and how come you come over here drinking our beer when you got a beer tap at your house?"

Chris would ask D-9; are we going home yet?

Sidell would bang on the pop machine with his nightstick, hoping against hope one more beer was stuck in there somewhere.

Bernie would complain that the mice were getting an early start on the kitchen pantry, and suggest maybe someone would want to get some traps before we got run off the place.

Doc Baker would ask if anyone ever thought about running the Royal Gorge on an air mattress, cause he'd like to go it again.

Marcie would call demanding her refund from last year's trip, and threatening to lock the doors if she wasn't reimbursed by the time she got back from skiing at Winter Park

Schutzie would suggest a poker party at his house, but there had to be a clear understanding that this time we would NOT accost the neighbors for alchohol after 4AM, and not refer to the cops who showed up as "Pork buddies"

The Burley one would want to load up the bus and drive long as there were trees and a river.

Good Buddy would suggest someone could finish cleaning the gear from the end of year trip, you know, cause she was pretty sure no one emptied the porta pot yet

Big Kid would root through the pantry hoping the mice had left something to eat, and end up eating mice. Bernie would roll her eyes.

Animal would complain big kid was eating too much again.
Old 01-13-2014   #49
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by studytime View Post

That being said. I am sure there are people with medical conditions and they cant use open locks without rights. for those people I am sorry, you're missing out on the best part of oaring. Might as well become a paddle guide.
Dooood, you think that the best thing about OARING is feathering? I'm.sorry for you man...
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #50
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Dooood, you think that the best thing about OARING is feathering? I'm.sorry for you man...
"Oaring"? OK, I think I see the problem......

Name:   oaring.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  5.6 KB

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote