Old 08-31-2013   #1
Rochester, Kent, UK
Paddling Since: 1997
New many choices

First a bit about me. I'm 6'3" and weigh about 115kg. I spend most of my water time paddling flat water as I am an instructor but I am going to college next year to do a course in outdoor education so I will be upgrading to larger water (3-4). I have a few runs on 3s and 4s under my belt and feel confident in my skills but I do need a new boat as I have grown out of my InaZone. (I actually grew out of it years ago but could part with it) now I need a new boat that is going to be comfortable enough to sit in all day to teach and lounge about, have enough room to do small trips, be forgiving enough to help me learn big water properly but not so forgiving that I'm gonna bounce over everything.

I looked at a number of boats

Stomper 90
Mamba 8.6
Burn L
D Series
Among other and I'd kinda settled on the stomper. The new bad ass outfitting would be and is exceptionally comfy, it looks awesome and all the reviews pointed to it be an all round awesome boat. The guy in the store however mentioned that this is a 4-5 boat and maybe a bit overkill for my requirements. So I am back to the to the drawing board.

I originally leaned towards the mamba. Dagger is a reasonably priced and trustworthy brand and the mamba is well liked. Not a huge fan of the burn and the Jackson range are just too expensive.

Any ideas guys. I know the only way to know for sure is to demo but are there any options that I have forgotten.

Cheers in advance

LordTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
I got to paddle a Stomper 90 for a week down in Ecuador. I'm 6' 3" and a bit (bwaa ha ha) heavier than what you listed. The boat was very stable and turned quickly. It handled big water and tight spots very well. The BA seating is, as you stated, very comfortable. The Stomper is SLOW!!! I know it's design is as a creek boat, but OMG! It's slow. I've got some friends who are class II-III boaters who love the Mamba. They claim it's roomy and very forgiving. Although you didn't list the boat, I can heartily recommend the Remix 79. Hope this helps.

hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
You really should try the LL Remix. Probably the 79. It is a great boat.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #4
Rochester, Kent, UK
Paddling Since: 1997
I will definitely give the remix a look over. Cheers guys. I think I'll avoid the stomper. I'm leaning towards the mamba but will look after other options.
LordTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would vote Burn. It is nimble and agile with well defined chines, but has the volume to negotiate both big water and steep creeks. I paddle one and know several instructors who paddle them.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #6
Worcestershire, Midlands, UK
Paddling Since: 2010
Pretty much any of those boats will do the job, and don't forget the Diesel, Karma, and the Recon. It'll come down to testing them on a river to see which one you like.
SimonMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #7
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981

Do try the Karma and the Villain. They are truly outstanding boats. Proper seat location is generally further back due to the asymmetrical boat shape and wider stable sterns.
No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #8
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I second the Burn...The edges make it very maneuverable. I love mine.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #9
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
villians don't like sharp rocks

i showed a picture of a giant waterfall and some gnarley runout to my villian... it cracked just looking at the pic.
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #10
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
so did the first villian i owned... and my rock star ... and my allstar... those are playboats that also don't like sharp rocks.

chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote