New and have questions - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2016   #31

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X311 View Post
I want to purchase a kayak ASAP, but have no clue which will be right.

This is why it is better to travel somewhere that you can try a few out before you purchase. You are unlikely to find any deals on shipping a used kayak. It's expensive to ship them (think close to $100 and up) and it's rare to even find someone who will ship a new one for free.

I see with a quick google search that Blue Mountain Outfitters near Harrisburg has a list of kayaks for sale. I don't see any fantastic deals, but they have Dagger and Wavesport products including the Mobius, Project X, Fuse, Diesel, Nomad, Jitsu and Axiom. These are all quality boats intended for different purposes. Go check them out.

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.ne.../kayak_web.pdf

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016   #32

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Don't be dramatic. The first two replies I got sucked. Been great ever since

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Actually, the first two replies you received were perfect and I, and I'm sure just about any other experienced boater here, agree with them 100%. Specialty kayak shops and the folks there know what they're talking about. Same with most clubs and trying out used boats.

In fact this entire thread has been very helpful and informative. Good work by the buzzards.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #33

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A couple more things that I don't think have been mentioned....

While it might seem like whitewater kayaking is an individual sport, it's actually more of a team sport than you might think. It's really not safe to go out by yourself, especially as a beginner, so even if you get the gear you are going to need to make some new friends.

Put you name on everything. You are going to swim, probably a lot, and occasionally something might get away from you. Most likely to be lost is probably your first paddle, but if your name and contact info is on it you run a decent chance of getting it back.
Old 08-25-2016   #34

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
A couple more things that I don't think have been mentioned....

While it might seem like whitewater kayaking is an individual sport, it's actually more of a team sport than you might think. It's really not safe to go out by yourself, especially as a beginner, so even if you get the gear you are going to need to make some new friends.

Put you name on everything. You are going to swim, probably a lot, and occasionally something might get away from you. Most likely to be lost is probably your first paddle, but if your name and contact info is on it you run a decent chance of getting it back.

Thanks for the advice. I want my girlfriend to come to the training class with me, but am worried because it is a dangerous sport.

I'll definitely label everything. I recently lost my Gopro and oakley sunglasses jet skiing

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #35

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I want my girlfriend to come to the training class with me, but am worried because it is a dangerous sport.

I'll definitely label everything. I recently lost my Gopro and oakley sunglasses jet skiing

Most things in life can be dangerous, and I guess our sport is no different, but it doesn't typically get much more dangerous than driving until you progress to class 4 and up runs. You'll be much happier if you manage to get her hooked on kayaking along with you and having someone else instruct her from the start is a wise idea.

I'd definitely include her on the training classes.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Most things in life can be dangerous, and I guess our sport is no different, but it doesn't typically get much more dangerous than driving until you progress to class 4 and up runs. You'll be much happier if you manage to get her hooked on kayaking along with you and having someone else instruct her from the start is a wise idea.

I'd definitely include her on the training classes.

I've showed her class 3 runs and she is definitely interested. Guess I'll see where it goes from there. Maybe she will be a better kayaker lol who knows.

Whats crazy about kayaking is it takes a good amount of prep. Training class, car roof rack, kayak, accessories, wet gear etc. You can't just go do class 3. I want to get out there already!

Old 08-28-2016   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Call Andy or Erica at Riversport in Confulence Pa. Drive to Riversport and take a 2 day class. Try a couple different used boats. Drive home.

After you look at where Confuence is on the Google and it seems too far away forget the idea of whitewater kayaking. There are a couple decent rivers in eastern Pa. Just decent. People flock to the Yougheheny River cause it runs 24/7/365.

Curious ....... What do you drive ?

Got in touch with Andy from Riversports. Im heading out there with the girlfriend for a 2 day course. Thanks so much. I would of never found this place

Old 08-29-2016   #38

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Don't be dramatic. The first two replies I got sucked. Been great ever since

"Wow" again.
Old 08-30-2016   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigohome View Post
"Wow" again.

Go away

Old 08-30-2016   #40

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Well this forum is informative

My back yard was PA, and WV paddling. There are several groups, shops, websites based in the east. A simple web search would show these. There are 3 shops in Ohiopyle alone, many more in WV. Boatertalk...Keelhaulers for online groups. As you saw from the links in previous post the search is easy. Also the only reason I am posting again is because you said "go away" which shows you are not able to take sarcastic criticisms. As you will learn this is a large part of the boating community.