New and have questions - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2016   #31
 
lmyers's Avatar
 
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X311 View Post
I want to purchase a kayak ASAP, but have no clue which will be right.

This is why it is better to travel somewhere that you can try a few out before you purchase. You are unlikely to find any deals on shipping a used kayak. It's expensive to ship them (think close to $100 and up) and it's rare to even find someone who will ship a new one for free.

I see with a quick google search that Blue Mountain Outfitters near Harrisburg has a list of kayaks for sale. I don't see any fantastic deals, but they have Dagger and Wavesport products including the Mobius, Project X, Fuse, Diesel, Nomad, Jitsu and Axiom. These are all quality boats intended for different purposes. Go check them out.

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.ne.../kayak_web.pdf

__________________
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-24-2016   #32
 
duct tape's Avatar
 
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X311 View Post
Don't be dramatic. The first two replies I got sucked. Been great ever since


Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Actually, the first two replies you received were perfect and I, and I'm sure just about any other experienced boater here, agree with them 100%. Specialty kayak shops and the folks there know what they're talking about. Same with most clubs and trying out used boats.

In fact this entire thread has been very helpful and informative. Good work by the buzzards.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #33
 
lmyers's Avatar
 
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,246
A couple more things that I don't think have been mentioned....

While it might seem like whitewater kayaking is an individual sport, it's actually more of a team sport than you might think. It's really not safe to go out by yourself, especially as a beginner, so even if you get the gear you are going to need to make some new friends.

Put you name on everything. You are going to swim, probably a lot, and occasionally something might get away from you. Most likely to be lost is probably your first paddle, but if your name and contact info is on it you run a decent chance of getting it back.
__________________
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #34
 
A7X311's Avatar
 
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
A couple more things that I don't think have been mentioned....

While it might seem like whitewater kayaking is an individual sport, it's actually more of a team sport than you might think. It's really not safe to go out by yourself, especially as a beginner, so even if you get the gear you are going to need to make some new friends.

Put you name on everything. You are going to swim, probably a lot, and occasionally something might get away from you. Most likely to be lost is probably your first paddle, but if your name and contact info is on it you run a decent chance of getting it back.

Thanks for the advice. I want my girlfriend to come to the training class with me, but am worried because it is a dangerous sport.

I'll definitely label everything. I recently lost my Gopro and oakley sunglasses jet skiing


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #35
 
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X311 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I want my girlfriend to come to the training class with me, but am worried because it is a dangerous sport.

I'll definitely label everything. I recently lost my Gopro and oakley sunglasses jet skiing


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Most things in life can be dangerous, and I guess our sport is no different, but it doesn't typically get much more dangerous than driving until you progress to class 4 and up runs. You'll be much happier if you manage to get her hooked on kayaking along with you and having someone else instruct her from the start is a wise idea.

I'd definitely include her on the training classes.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #36
 
A7X311's Avatar
 
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Most things in life can be dangerous, and I guess our sport is no different, but it doesn't typically get much more dangerous than driving until you progress to class 4 and up runs. You'll be much happier if you manage to get her hooked on kayaking along with you and having someone else instruct her from the start is a wise idea.



I'd definitely include her on the training classes.

I've showed her class 3 runs and she is definitely interested. Guess I'll see where it goes from there. Maybe she will be a better kayaker lol who knows.

Whats crazy about kayaking is it takes a good amount of prep. Training class, car roof rack, kayak, accessories, wet gear etc. You can't just go do class 3. I want to get out there already!


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #37
 
A7X311's Avatar
 
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Call Andy or Erica at Riversport in Confulence Pa. Drive to Riversport and take a 2 day class. Try a couple different used boats. Drive home.



After you look at where Confuence is on the Google and it seems too far away forget the idea of whitewater kayaking. There are a couple decent rivers in eastern Pa. Just decent. People flock to the Yougheheny River cause it runs 24/7/365.



Curious ....... What do you drive ?

Got in touch with Andy from Riversports. Im heading out there with the girlfriend for a 2 day course. Thanks so much. I would of never found this place


Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #38
 
gobigohome's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X311 View Post
Don't be dramatic. The first two replies I got sucked. Been great ever since


Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
"Wow" again.
__________________
Ski It, Raft It, Drink It
Loveland, Clear Creek, Coors
gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #39
 
A7X311's Avatar
 
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigohome View Post
"Wow" again.

Go away


Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #40
 
gobigohome's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X311 View Post
Well this forum is informative


Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
My back yard was PA, and WV paddling. There are several groups, shops, websites based in the east. A simple web search would show these. There are 3 shops in Ohiopyle alone, many more in WV. Boatertalk...Keelhaulers for online groups. As you saw from the links in previous post the search is easy. Also the only reason I am posting again is because you said "go away" which shows you are not able to take sarcastic criticisms. As you will learn this is a large part of the boating community.
__________________
Ski It, Raft It, Drink It
Loveland, Clear Creek, Coors
gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions... So many questions mark_vanis Whitewater Kayaking 0 06-16-2014 11:59 PM
"Texans have the hookem’ horns, and kayakers have, sigh..." hojo Whitewater Kayaking 11 07-31-2012 05:14 PM
I have a few questions about a Cat Aroberts Kayaking | Gear Talk 7 08-05-2009 11:50 AM
Have a few questions for someone in the know....... waterfrk09 Whitewater Kayaking 3 04-30-2004 12:49 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.