New and have questions - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2016   #21

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftaBit View Post
Everything that was stated is great advice. Also look into any local colleges/universities. They tend to have kayak clubs that cater to all abilities.

For what it's worth, the Riot Magnum is one of my all time favorite creek boats. I even paddled one down the Grand Canyon. That said, don't blow a grand on a new boat as your first boat. Being on the east coast, hop on boatertalk.com and get yourself a great used boat for $200-$300. It will take you far and allow you to figure out what it is you want. I started 13 years ago in a Pyranha S6 200 that I bought for $250 used. I sold it for $250 and bought my first new kayak. I recently saw another S6 200 for $250. So, they hold value to a point very well.

Good Luck!

Went on there to look for a used kayak and nothing comes up within 100 miles of Philly

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016   #22

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Boater talk is more southeast oriented. Northeast Paddlers Message board might be more fruitful for the Philly area. www.npmb.com

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #23

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
The most important thing about a boat is buying one that is properly sized and is already comfortable or can be outfitted to be comfy. That said, the magnum 80 is a good boat and you would probably have it for years. $700 is pretty good for a new boat. There is no boat that does everything. You will inevitably end up with a creeker/river runner and a playboat. Possibly even a lake boat, long boat, paddle board, river/play and even a slalom boat that's what happens, they multiply in your garage like rabbits lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016   #24

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X311 View Post
Well this forum is informative

"Wow"
Old 08-21-2016   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigohome View Post
"Wow"

Don't be dramatic. The first two replies I got sucked. Been great ever since

Old 08-22-2016   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman987 View Post
The most important thing about a boat is buying one that is properly sized and is already comfortable or can be outfitted to be comfy. That said, the magnum 80 is a good boat and you would probably have it for years. $700 is pretty good for a new boat. There is no boat that does everything. You will inevitably end up with a creeker/river runner and a playboat. Possibly even a lake boat, long boat, paddle board, river/play and even a slalom boat that's what happens, they multiply in your garage like rabbits lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

I cant seem to find a good site to get a new/used river running. Any sites offer free shipping?

Old 08-22-2016   #27

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
I cant seem to find a good site to get a new/used river running. Any sites offer free shipping?

Is there a river run that you go to, that is a regular dam release? Look on Craigslist for that area, and you can meet them on the way to the water.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #28

Quote:
Don't be dramatic. The first two replies I got sucked. Been great ever since

Call Andy or Erica at Riversport in Confulence Pa. Drive to Riversport and take a 2 day class. Try a couple different used boats. Drive home.

After you look at where Confuence is on the Google and it seems too far away forget the idea of whitewater kayaking. There are a couple decent rivers in eastern Pa. Just decent. People flock to the Yougheheny River cause it runs 24/7/365.

Curious ....... What do you drive ?
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #29

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Call Andy or Erica at Riversport in Confulence Pa. Drive to Riversport and take a 2 day class. Try a couple different used boats. Drive home.

After you look at where Confuence is on the Google and it seems too far away forget the idea of whitewater kayaking. There are a couple decent rivers in eastern Pa. Just decent. People flock to the Yougheheny River cause it runs 24/7/365.

That is good advice. Rivers are special because unlike bike trails (for example) they can not just be made or found anywhere. For most people kayaking is 50% driving and 50% paddling... if you are willing to travel/ adventure to new and exciting rivers. (Feel free to minus a few % to make room for beer drinking, safety meetings, etc...) Be ready to drive and to have a lot of fun.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post

Half the fun is the road trip! That would be great to take a 2-day course and try out some kayaks. I want to purchase a kayak ASAP, but have no clue which will be right. I have a 2012 Nissan Sentra. Recently bought a Rhino Rack to transport the boat. If you meant motorcycle I have a 2014 Honda CTX700