New and have questions - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-14-2016   #11

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Mike,

You are very close to a well known kayak shop on the east coast. Search for Starrk Moon Kayaks and it will pop up in your preferred search engine. The owner is very happy to discuss your needs and goals and give you some kayak models to consider. In my dealing with the shop, I was able to get a new kayak for what I expect would get me a used kayak in CO. I also know of a kayak shop in the Jim Thorpe area, which I think goes by the name Casper Kayaks, but I have no experience with that shop.

There is no such thing as a best kayak brand. That is a very personal and subjective opinion as every company has slightly different outfitting and fits people differently. I know that based on your location you have the ability to sit in Pyranha and Exo brand to see if you like either of those brands.

Based on your region you may get more appropriate responses on where to look for whitewater kayaks from boatertalk.com. If you are on facebook there are also a couple of facebook groups based on PA whitewater that you may find beneficial.

jrplefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #12

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If you come to Colorado, I have a Pyranha Inazone I could get rid of cheap. Great used beginner boat.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #13

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
WhiteLightning, which inazone do you have? I live in BV and I'm looking for a C1 conversion project for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #14

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Call the outfitter providing the instruction and ask if you even need to bring your own gear. If they have boats for you to paddle, wait until after the class. You'll have a better idea at that point of what gear will suit you best.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 08-15-2016   #15

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Clubs

are a real nice way to get started in this sport. One of their big reasons to exist is to share information and help people grow into the sport. You might try these folks: Philadelphia Canoe Club - Home. There are several others nearby, but they are the most local and will have classes and roll practice.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #16

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Oh, and about the "real informative" comment...

We're volunteers here. Nobody owes you squat. And to avoid misunderstandings in the future, on weekends most out door forums are pretty dead, as people are out doing stuff, or tending to stuff they neglected while out doing stuff.
Old 08-15-2016   #17

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Great replies! Thanks so much. I think I will end up going with a freestyle WW kayak. I'm obsessed and have been researcher them for several hours now. If anyone wants to post a picture of theirs I'd appreciate it. I will never go lake kayaking again. Being pulled down the river and navigating the rapids is what I want!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #18

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingH20 View Post
are a real nice way to get started in this sport. One of their big reasons to exist is to share information and help people grow into the sport. You might try these folks: Philadelphia Canoe Club - Home. There are several others nearby, but they are the most local and will have classes and roll practice.

You the man! Gonna register for their Saturday WW class. To reply to your other message... I was just giving the 2 guys crap for responding to my post with no information

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #19

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Another source of info

Boatertalk. com
Newbie questions should go to the main forum (be ready for some possible testosterone thumping) and also to the Liquid Lounge, which is gentler. There are more East Coast people there, and possibly some from Philly. Check Facecrack to see if the Philly club has a page.
Have fun.
Old 08-15-2016   #20

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Great Advice

Everything that was stated is great advice. Also look into any local colleges/universities. They tend to have kayak clubs that cater to all abilities.

For what it's worth, the Riot Magnum is one of my all time favorite creek boats. I even paddled one down the Grand Canyon. That said, don't blow a grand on a new boat as your first boat. Being on the east coast, hop on boatertalk.com and get yourself a great used boat for $200-$300. It will take you far and allow you to figure out what it is you want. I started 13 years ago in a Pyranha S6 200 that I bought for $250 used. I sold it for $250 and bought my first new kayak. I recently saw another S6 200 for $250. So, they hold value to a point very well.

Good Luck!
DriftaBit is offline   Reply With Quote