Old 04-07-2013   #1
Anchorage, Alaska
Need opinons on first boat

Hey there. I am new to the forum, I posted this in gear talk but I figured I could put it here also for more opinions.

Ive been looking at getting a boat for a while now, but I'm young and broke, so my ideal set-up will probably have to wait. I'm looking for something to fish, hunt and run some whitewater up here in Alaska. I would really PREFER an sb boat but that might not be in the cards. Right now I'm trying to keep the bill under 1,500, which i think is doable just maybe not ideal.

Right now there is a 14' Achilles bucket boat up on craigslist for $1,300. See link here. This guy says there is two small 1/4" patches in the floor. Boat comes with frame and oars and motor transom so I could use it for dipnetting and running up stream for fishing.

Achilles River Raft

So what do you think. Good deal? Or should I keep scraping the bottom (of craigslist) looking for something better. I did see a 12' tributary with frame and oars up for 1450 the other day but it was gone by the time i got the chance to call.

bigfishhunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #2
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
On your budget, wait until fall to find a good deal. Not that one won't pop up before then but fall is more of a buyers market. Your location is going to be a limiting factor too. Good luck in the search. Watch the buzz and nrs gear swap. If there's a local gear swap that would be ideal. The sotar ATV might work for you too.

That boat doesent look too bad. If your not running a bunch of WW the bucket boat could work great for you. Lots of folks start with a non SB floor. You can find new rubber next season.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #3
Fairplay, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Try calling your local raft companies. I've seen Amazing deals, especially if they are going out of business.
BeauWildman is offline   Reply With Quote