Old 04-20-2012   #1
URANUS, California

My boat keeps flipping and all my friends are teling me that I need more weight on my rig. I'm running a heavy frame and thought it would do the trik but I keep having yard sails in big rapids. I use to guide boats on the Grand and we ran super heavy frames and never flipped, but now I'm mostly day-tripping so no longer hauling as much gear...any suggestions on how I can keep my boat from flipping?

riverballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #2
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004

Known Cairn Hater

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #3
URANUS, California
what does that mean?
Old 04-20-2012   #4
Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
He's referring to hitting the waves and holes square on and powering through them, something I'm sure you are at least already trying to do. Anyway, what kind of boat are you running (cat vs raft, self bailer, length)?
skiersteve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you're rowing a raft (not a cataraft) with a frame, but no/minimal gear or passengers - especially in higher water or where you are hitting bigger waves and holes - then you are in flipping city. You need weight. You used to guide on the Grand so you have probably seen guides bailing water INTO their bucket boats at high water for extra momentum when hitting the big stuff. Sample principal - and if you have a bucket boat, well start adding water. Otherwise bring some friends, even put paddles in their hands, and if they're attractive - even better. Worst case they can hand you beers while keeping the boat from flipping. Otherwise consider carrying water jugs that fit securely in your frame - you can fill them at the river - four full 6 gallon jugs weight 175 lbs or so. That's not a lot of weight, but it will make a difference. You may also decide to run more conservative lines - or embrace flip recovery.

Second option, get a cataraft. With vastly less surface area and way better hole punching ability they are much better suited to a lone rower with minimal gear. And they're faster and more maneuverable.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #6
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I've heard of people putting a drybox up front and loading rocks in it. I imagine its best to put the weight up front, or should it be even across the boaT?
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #7
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
I've filled up dry bags with water and put them in the front bay of the boat to add a little weight. Just fill'm up at the river & dump when your done.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #8
URANUS, California
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm running an 18 ft riken wallopie bailers raft. I have a heavy(and rusty) 6 bay steel frame on it and would think this should be plenty of wait, but I keep getting throttled. I have some drop bags in a few of the bays. Perhaps I could pile a bunch of rocks in those. Any other ideas? Maybe a few hefty broads up front would help, but then I would be nervous about a grease fire...
Old 04-20-2012   #9
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
You need to get a real big ladyfriend (or several small ones, you're call) & put em way up front.

Or anything heavy. I used to have a med size cooler i would fill with water at the put in. You need the bow wt to punch thru/carry you over the crest.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Coolers and dry boxes can also be filled with water.

As for weight distribution - my personal opinion is put the weight on the end that you are punching the big holes with. Evenly distributed is fine also. It might also be worth noting that almost everybody is stronger pulling rather than pushing. For big moves I almost always pull with a downstream ferry angle to get there and then pull straight (squared up) into the big waves/holes. A pull/brace is also a lot stronger than a push/brace when you aren't strong enough to finish a stroke while hitting a wave or hole.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote