Old 09-15-2011   #1
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Need help choosing boat (whitewater)...

I was just looking for some experienced advice on what boat I should get. I am relatively new to kayaking and enjoy both flatwater and whitewater. I am just getting into whitewater and took some lessons and will be trying some class III here soon (in the next couple of weekends at Ohiopyle). I was thinking about the Liquid Logic Remix XP 9, but was also told I should consider the Pyranha Burn (medium). I have tried both and enjoyed both and am still too new to tell a significant difference although I thought I had an easier time rolling in the Burn. The reason that the Burn was recommended was that my instructor thought that I needed more volume but according to specs it seems they list the same volume. I don't yet understand exactly how the volume will affect me in whitewater so I would like some help to make sure I get the right boat.

I am 6'1" and weigh around 160-165 lbs.

XtremeGreen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #2
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Remix 69 would be straight up your alley, too. I wouldn't call the Burn a beginner boat, despite its ease of rolling. The nearest analogy is that it is a very high performance sports car that requires constant maintenance; this isn't what you want to learn to drive in. For the class III stuff and up, I'd go with a dedicated whitewater boat and skip the crossover segment.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #3
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
If you can find a demo of the new LL Stomper 80, try that one too. Wouldn't be as edgy as a Burn; sounds like another great whitewater boat.

I am surprised that a Remix XP 9 is listed as only 73 gallons; it should have more volume than a medium Burn. Sounds like a typo to me. The Remix XP10 is 105 gallons; those XPs are bigger boats; should have plenty of room for touring.

If you want to do more lakes and touring, and a little class II-III whitewater, an XP9 could be a good way to go. But it will be harder to turn in boulder gardens, creeks, etc. If you want to get more into whitewater, a Remix 69, Stomper 80, maybe an M Karnali or Shiva would be good boats to learn in. Try some eddy turns with all of them to compare. Demo all you can.
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Remix 59-69 depending on how big you are is the way to go.
magistermiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Discontinued and Clearance Kayaks/Accessories Still On Sale at Golden River Sports!
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote