Old 12-11-2006   #21
pnw, Washington
Yep sold the Diesel to Gordo and bought a large Burn. I think about 5 people in the club have Burn's now. My bulkhead is pretty tight so it might be difficult to squeeze ya in since I think your legs are longer than mine but you are welcome to try it.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #22
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Why don't you just buy another Rockit? They're around and a lot cheaper than newer boats.

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #23
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Here are few things on the habitat: it will roll as easy as most other creek boats. I agree with Hobie that no boat manufacturer tries to make there boats hard to roll. I think your best bet is to do what you did, and take a few to the pool or on a river and see how they handle!

Noticed some peeps mentioning the Habitat: Here is some info, and some reviews from myself (a part of Team WS so call it biased if you wish ) and a friend Named Heath:

Here is a review I posted on my first day on a creek in the boat:

Paddled the "production" 74 for the first time yesterday down mill creek. Super fun level ( low side),but good for me cause I havent been creeking in a while....anyways, here are my thoughts:

One: Speed: This boat carries a lot more speed then I was used to with the deisel. Im stoked on that cuz I held its momentum while going down slides, and or waterfalls, or punching out of holes.

Two: Resurfacing: This is probably one of the biggest things I noticed. The boat like to resurface not only fast and balanced, but while maintaining speed. I ran the Falls twice yesterday, once plugging, and once boofing. THe boof was a soft landing, and when plugging it the boat again resurfaced quick and clean....

Turning: The boat to me has predictable turning. Im coming from a play boat some im more or less used to havaing a boat turn quickly....This boat to me is a good balance of stayin on line.... as well as turning when need be. For the kind of boater I am, I was super stoked on that!

Stability: I went into Headless horseman so focused on not catching my left edge, that I forgot about my paddle placement. I drop into er fine, and caught my paddle on the overhanging rock. So I ran the majority of the drop looking like a cowboy riding a bull.... however the soft edges on the boat never caught when I was heading down sideways, and autoboofed to paddle grab (oh yea thats my signature move). we have vid of it, can't wait to see it! haha...

Anyways, Thats my two thoughts on my first impression. Again, Im just starting to creek more then I probably have in the past.... so this is coming from a "medioker" (sphelling) creeker, however this boat really has given me some confidence!

All in all it was a great day out for me. Had a super fun day on the river, and when I got off I had a voice message from my best friend who just returned from Iraq.....(for good)....So stoked on the day I can't even explain!

Here is an independent review further down the page ofHeath : a guy I let paddle it down the first mile:

Habitat was everything I hoped it would be on the second run. Ben's post is right on. It is fast but will slow down when you want it to. Holds a line but will turn off when you want it to. The edges are soft but the stern edges will engage only when you want them because the are out of the water the rest of the time. It boofs stupidly easy. It lands super soft and resurfaces like a champ. The outiftting is setup nicely and the seat position is great. I needed a little more foam for my hips. It was very overall comfortable. I took it of the falls and it felt great. I already put my order in for a lime green 74 on Monday. I think it is the boat to run the sh@t in!!! I'll post on our website the rest of the pictures that were taken.

Rain is on the way. I am not working on Friday because of the rain. We will see you in the Ville on Friday and Saturday. With this much rain and the ground already wet it could get really interesting.

here are some links on the habitat:

Some Pics:

Some Vid:

Woah, covering all the bases!

Cheers all
Ben Guska
Team Wavesport
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #24
You should check out the Dragorossi Critical Mass.....

I reviewed it on Boatertalk and the DR website. This would be the boat to check out especially if you're coming from a Rockit. I love it! I just bought one and sold my Nomad 8.5.....the nomad's a great boat but the Critical Mass is SOOOOOO much better.
Not sure who's running the demo center if anyone in CO. Post on the DR website (
I'm not affiliated with them at all. I bought the CM at full retail.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #25
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
All creek boats should roll easy- as long as your not sitting too deep in the boat. I'd stay away from the Huka. Everyone we sold broke and I mean every one. Creekboats take a ton of abuse and the companies with the best warrenty departments are Jackson and Liquid Logic (in that order).

gh is always pushing the Burn- but it's not a Creek boat and coming from a Prijon you'll be disappointed by the wear and tear. Plus getting hardware for UK boats sucks. Ask the boys at Alpine what they think of the Burn- I heard you can fold'e easy for traveling. They should have put a full 360 degree roto molded seat instead of going cheap with the single layer option.

The Jefe and Nomads are well tested and proven winners. The Habitat and new Rockers look like nice designs. You should have fun testing all the new gear.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #26
Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Well i tried both the Burn and Jefe in our latest pool session. Both seemed great. I likes the rocker and flat bottom of the burn and the jefe felt fast and rolled easily (i'm not sure what i was thinking last year).

The guy in my club that owns the Jefe is:
A-moving soon
B. thinks he's too heavy for the Jefe so
C. A good price on a slightly used boat may be in the offing.

I would like to try it on some moving water though. The pool is pretty limitted.
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #27
Send a message via AIM to DesertBoater
I haven't done a ton of creeking, but recently i acquired a Bliss-Stick Mystic...just paddling around in the pool it is awesome. it's quick, turns really fast and rolls really easily. it almost pulls me up. it's really really comfortable and the outfitting is easily adjustable. i'd highly recommend any boat built by them.

DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote