Old 02-09-2011   #1
Jacksonville, Florida
Need boat recommendation: ocean surfing / large rivers

Can anyone recommend a boat for me? I'm looking for a hybrid or jack-of-all trades type of boat. I'd like it to be maneuverable and lightweight but also track straight. Looking for a sit-in boat.

I'd like to be able to use it for:
- Ocean surfing (would be small breaks, I'm in Florida)
- Large / slow moving rivers or lakes
- Class I or II rivers

Adayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #2
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
any whitewater boat made by Necky except the Crux & Blunt.
starting from and ending with
Jive, Jive 8-10, Switch, Witch, Zip, Mission, Orbit Fish, Chronic, Vibe, all of these would work but the jive's longer length and little stern rocker would be a fast surf boat
Riot made some good boats for the surf too and Dagger's new Axiom looks like a very good surf and river boat too.

pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #3
Lewes, Delaware
Paddling Since: 2009
Check out the Jackson Rogue. It comes in 9 and 10 ft. It is Jackson Kayaks new do-it-all hybrid kayak and we should have them in the shop sometime in March. Hope this helps!
Delawarepaddlesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #4
Jacksonville, Florida
Thank you for the recommendations ... I'm going to look into the Jackson Rogue. I like that it has the dry storage space. I couldn't find the weight though --- do you know how much the 9ft Rogue weighs?

Old 02-11-2011   #5
Lewes, Delaware
I have a call into jackson now about the weight of the 9ft Rogue. I will post as soon as I hear.
Have a good weekend!
Old 02-11-2011   #6
Lewes, Delaware
Just heard from Jackson, they do not want to list a weight yet because the boat is not yet in production. Should be soon. Sorry i wasnt more help.
Old 02-16-2011   #7
Jacksonville, Florida
No worries - I definitely appreciate the suggestions.

Old 02-16-2011   #8
Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I have an Aire Lynx IK that I use for similar conditions....I have installed the thigh straps, foot pegs, and Aire's removable skeg. I use the pegs and thigh straps all the time, but only attach the skeg when in lakes, deep rivers, or the ocean. I have ocean surfed with it in Oregon and in Tofino, Vancouver Island BC, and am planning on taking it to Kauai when i go there next week for some river cruising and ocean surfing. Best thing is I can pack all my stuff (kayak, 4 peice break down paddle, mini K pump, pfd, helmet, and some clothing in an XL TNF duffle bag under 50lbs for air travel...boat to travel the world with! Might not perform as well as some hard boats, but the thing is tough and portable.
MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #9
Golden, Colorado
If you really want to use it for surfing then you don't want a boat that tracks straight (like a touring kayak). A boat that is designed to track straight will do one thing with a wave: go straight into the beach with a pile of whitewater pushing behind it. That isn't very fun.

To surf properly on the face of a wave you need a whitewater kayak or a kayak designed specifically for ocean surfing. They are easy to maneuver on the face of the wave and you can turn, cut back, hit the lip, and if you are a good playboater you can do all the playboat tricks too. Just about any whitewater kayak will surf decently. I like a riverrunner/playboat hybrid or just a playboat for ocean surf.

The difference between a kayak that you'd use to paddle on a lake and one you'd have fun surfing in are too big to have in one boat, IMO.

If I were you I'd get a touring kayak that is outfitted for fishing, like one from Ocean Kayak. Take it out past the surf and go trolling. I went ocean fishing this winter in Costa Rica in a kayak like that and it was great. One of those boats would be perfect for Florida.

As for the surfing, get a longboard or a fun shape and learn to surf. I learned to surf in Cocoa Beach when I lived there back in the early 90's. It was the best thing I've ever done. A surfboard is way more fun than a kayak in the surf.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #10
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
Definately go to Drago Rossi website. Mr. Addison knows his ocean surfing. Notice how all the Riot boats looked like surf kayaks...the old Slice, Glide, Hammer. Corrin wrote the book on it, and now he's with Drago Rossi.

clearcreekontherise is offline   Reply With Quote