Old 08-23-2015   #1
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Need advice on inflatable kayak, canoe, etc.

If I'm in the wrong forum I apologize. I spend most of my time in a 13' raft, but would like to purchase a two person inflatable kayak, canoe, whatever they are called, that my wife and I can throw in the Roaring Fork and other rivers when we want to get on the river quickly. I've seen various makes, shapes, etc. and not sure where to start. Most of our time will be spent in Class 2/2+ maybe 3 water. I'm 6'4" tall so need some room to stretch out. Back support would be nice. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015   #2
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
I just bought one this summer. Love the darn thing! After doing some research I bought the Aire Outfitter 2.

Sara D at the Aire factory store gave great advice and I swapped my Cheetah seats out for 12 inch thwarts. Way more comfy.

I also put the skeg kit on it and the thing paddles straight as an arrow for lake or estuary/ sea use.

With just me in the boat it can handle some major water. I've done lots of class 3 and with more experience I'll head for even bigger.

It has whet my appetite for a cat though.

100gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015   #3
Cave Creek, Arizona
Aire boats are great. They make both inflatable kayaks and inflatable Canoes. Tributary boats seem to hold up quite well also. For the type of boating you plan to do I think any IK you are comfortable in will work just fine. If you want to run whitewater, then the boat you choose is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #4
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
If you don't need a full on WW inflatable, have a look at what Aire is now calling their "crossovers."
AIRE | Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Whitewater Rafting Accessories and Boats
Click on "Shop."
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #5
Caw! Caw!
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I have an NRS Outlaw. I took the "thwart seat" out of it, and replaced it with an Aire Cheetah Chair. It's the most comfortable IK I've ever paddled.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

I love single IK's I have owned the Aire force and the sitar ik. Had lots of fun.

I am not a fan of tandem IK's unless used solo.

The tandem ik is to unstable and to difficult to communicate front to back for me.

I suggest you rethink and consider a small r2 high side paddle cat rolled up to almost the same size as my aire force solo ik.

A raft like a mini max, paddlecat, shredder, aire puma ect.... is SUPER fun for 2......siting side by side makes conversation easy........class I I I -V water is in the performance envelope of these boats.

It is true these boats do cost more.....but they are much more versatile and capable boats.......I urge you to at least consider a r2 boat over a tandem ik........I personally feel the hydside mini max rocks as a colorado r2 rolls small (my sotar solo ik rolled larger) is very light...and it handles like a dream.

Have fun what ever you get

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #7
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Scott makes some good points (tandem IK vs. small raft/shredder).
However, my wife (Your Wife May Vary) doesn't like the paddling position sitting on a side tube of a raft/shredder/paddlecat --her back specifically doesn't like the twist (and she doesn't want to straddle). So I sold the Hyside Paddlecat and Minimax raft (got larger raft with oarframe). When we want to be close to the water and travel light, we sometimes tandem IK, but usually prefer the maneuverability and independence of single IKs.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015   #8
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1969
Sotar, they will make any size you want and in my opinion their the best. A little pricey.
buntina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015   #9
LAX to SEA, 90032
Paddling Since: 2009
So many boats

I have a super lynx, tomcat solo, Hyside mini max, Jackson zen, Jackson Riviera. Plus other boats that I have sold. I love them all.

The most useful is the super lynx. Works decent on flat water, moderate ww, room enough for dogs, a cooler, bags etc.

Can be run solo easily.

The mini max is awesome for up to 4 adults but don't try to paddle flat water!

Tomcat solo / lynx I, awesome for low stress ww. Great for introducing people to ww. Both are solid. Not great on flat water.

For utility on a budget, the Tomcat tandem is unbeatable. Add a skeg if you want to do lots of flat water. Highly recommend a k pump btw. Enjoy
scotttoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015   #10
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I agree with Johnovice, I'm not a giant fan of tandem IK's, but solo IK's (which I own 6 of) are great. you've got the control of your own boat, they handle great. and everybody is comfortable and there is no fighting over control of the boat.

"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote