Old 09-09-2005   #1
Need advice on a play/surf boat

Hi, I need some advice on boats. I am a Colorado boy stuck in Florida for the next year and a half. I have a fair amount of whitewater experience but haven't kayaked in the last five years or so and am out of the loop.
I live near the Gulf and am looking for a boat to play in the surf. We get plenty of sloppy windswell here that I think would be fun in a new school playboat. Looking to front surf and do tricks in the slop. I have seen the ocean surfing specific kayaks, but when it's big and clean, I will definetely be stand-up surfing, so I am looking for a boat that would be fun in everything from small sloppy waves to big sloppy waves!
The last boat I owned was the W.S. Frankenstien, I haven't paddled any of the "spud" boats before, but they look like they might be a lot of fun in the surf. I am only concerened that the spud boats might be too slow when the waves are small. Are they? Also want to start hole riding again when I get back to CO.
There are no real kayak shops near me so I will have to buy online with advice. Please help with any suggestions on style of boat and model! I am 6'1", 185 lbs., sz 12 ft. I am dying to get a boat and your advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

ESSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005   #2
I would look into the Jackson or wavesport line if I were you. You can find cheap boats here on mt buzz and on The dragorossi boats are great ocean play kayaks but also have a high price tag on them. later, laroo

mrlaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005   #3
Jackson Fun's or Star's the Star is a loopy play boat
Wavesport ZG's
Dagger Kingpin or Crazy 88
Pyranha S6F

Check the websites these should do what you are looking to do.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote