Old 10-27-2010   #11
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
I am at your same weight, but shorter. I'd suggest either the Habitat74 or Villian S, and have owned both.

The Habitat is an excellent boat and has lots of room for storage. It may not boof quite a easily as some, but is fast, stable, predictable, and it resurfaces evenly.

The Villian S is an awesome boat, too. It's true it doesn't provide much storage room. What I have discover about the S is that the length of the rear end is the same as the Punk Rocker. The boat is an asymetrical design, so if you stand the two side-by-side you'll discover the Villain's extra length is all in front of the cockpit. Which, I really love the Villain S, but don't think it carves an arc quite as rounded as the Punk does. The Villian is wicked fast and, I think, tends to penetrate the turns a bit straighter before it then begins to arc nicely. It takes just a little learning to appreciate asymetrical design. It's kind of like a stiff tip/soft tail ski.

I discovered that I require the seat position the same distance towards the rear of the boat as in the Punk. At first I thought, that because the Villian S is longer, that I needed it all the way forward. But, I eventually determined that was disengaging the performance design and decreased the carving and boofing ability of the boat. When I found the sweet spot for my body build (short and V shaped) the boat design does the work and is very enjoyable.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #12
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by teletumbler View Post
Good stuff so far, thanks. I agree on the Solo, a friend has one and that thing is a tank.

Patty - Does Bart or RA have a Burn to demo? I have access to most of the others, but haven't paddled the Burn yet and it appears that I ought to.

As for outfitting, I have been spoiled with my Jacksons I am similar size to EJ so they fit like a dream and I love the knee pocket. Would definitely be planning on padding out the Jefe, jsut can't do it with the demo.

Thanks again, keep it coming.
Yeah Bart has em. I suggest a medium or maybe even a large depending on how much you want to pack along with you. I've had my 6'4" 170 lb friend in the small Burn before. Demoing it at golden isn't going to give you a good feel for how well the burn floats though. God find some mank!

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #13
The Bitterroot, Montana
Ok, so its not billed as a "creeker" but check out a mamba. This is the boat that would pop out if a nomad and a burn had a baby together. I love my 8.0 but wish I got an 8.5. Really fun boat to boof and rolls easyer than the jefe. I like it more than my old jefe actually. I am 185 and love to paddle my 8.0 in tight creeks but big water is a bit pushy on a boat that size. I have packed for 3 days in it with room.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #14
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There are a lot of great boats for your size, but I really like my Habitat 74. I'm about the same size... maybe a little heavier, but that boat is fun and has already gotten me through some tough shit! I paddled the Nomad for 4 years and like the Habitat much more. Similar sizes and handling are the Fluid Solo Large, and the Jefe.

mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote