Old 03-21-2012   #31
Lexington, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2008
I appreciate the comments brother, and please know that I'm not taking one bit of this trip lightly. I am fully aware of the inherit dangers prevelant in this sport and honestly do respect the advice. I'm just excited to go! When it's all said and done, I am going to take my water wings also......

Sam Arnold IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #32
BV, Colorado
You are a madman in the world of raft frame modification...

peakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #33
Lexington, Kentucky
Peakone, I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me Thanks for viewing brother......
Old 03-21-2012   #34
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Another vote for straps vs bolts. I've seen a bunch of pinned boats where they had to unload the boxes. Maybe use pins instead of bolts but definately use straps

175 lbs? That gives my 12' long cat frame a run (estimate at about 160 lbs). Its all that bar stock is killing you
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #35
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't know guys. Yes I suppose its a tiny bit better to have straps over if you are going to be sending boat down through some rocky mange upside down,,, but this is an upcoming GC trip right?

Every time he just pops those latches on the party palace he will saying damn I am glad that I don't have to mess with straps right now. I suggest you take more beer as you will need it. When you are done rigging and still watching folks mess with straps - that is a lot of down time so plan for it now.

Don't flip. Or guy right of the cheese grater rock.

And I know you guys are using the cheese grater as an example. I know oar boats have pinned and double pinned in Crystal too. Go left.

To the OP. Sweet setup. It should work well for you.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #36
Lexington, Kentucky
Carvedog, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to look it over. You kind of summed up my initial thoughts but it sure is nice to have someone with much more experience at least confirm that my reasoning is somewhat plausable
Avatard, just to clarify, that 175 lbs was the frame with four dry boxes bolted to it, empty of course. That bar stock probably adds around 10-12 lbs. Thanks once again for the comments.
Old 05-16-2012   #37
Albany, Oregon
Latching in boxes

People may have seen latches blow but Im confident not one of our Large latches that we use on our latch-in box system. They have been tried tested and true on the Grand for over 35yrs without one failure that I know of to date. They are one heavy duty latch!
Originally Posted by Sam Arnold IV View Post
That RecTec system looks awesome, maybe I should have had them build me something Probably cheaper!
CanyonEJ, wow, not suprising that I've never seen a latch blow but it is somewhat suprising to me that you have seen a good number of them blow. I know that I have an NRS dry box that used substantially lighter latches than Todd at Mad Cow uses, but even the ones that NRS uses seem pretty tough. Good to know though...

RecreTec is offline   Reply With Quote