Old 05-04-2009   #11
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
For the money a street legal Suzuki DRZ 400 will only run you about $2500 and they are fairly bomber for a OHV 4 stroke. Plus lots of them (first version was in 2000) means lots of aftermarket parts. But a little on the Heavy side of things. The older style DR350 aren't quite as dirt worthy but fine for gravel roads and short shuttles.
The Honda XR 400/250's are SUPER BOMBER, but may or may be street legal in your state. Also beware of the differing hitch mounts, all are not created equal. You don't want to see the bike cartwheeling down the highway after you.

But please, before you buy ensure you can get it street lic. I have lots of experience with this issue. Even if it has a current plate but the Registration is expired, check first. Many states used to allow to put a plate on almost any bike, and now they have changed policy and will not allow you to get new stickers for it.

Go check out for more info, they also have a classifieds section.

Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #12
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Mr Beaver, good point on the registration. In Colorado, I have plated three offroad bikes by putting a brake light on the rear and having a plastic folding mirror and a squeeze bulb air horn. The horn comes off after registration. They let us get away with no signals as long as you do not ride after dark and I have no hi/lo beam options. I have even plated a two stroke here. The sheriff or police need to sign off on your bike, but some municipalities and states are stricter than others. There is no way any of the bikes I plated would get the same treatment in California. There are street legal Honda XR's, Suzuki Drz's Kawasaki Klr's and KTM exc's (new ones) that are street legal. I am not sure if the Yamaha WR comes street legal.

Depending on your location, cops can be easy going or total dicks. As long as you are not on heavily travelled roads near a metro area, a quasi legal bike like mine will work. If they wanted, an officer could cite me for probably five violations (non DOT tires, no horn ,no signals, no front brake activated brake light, no speedometer and yet I'm plated and insured. Go figure. This is probably coming to an end as registration checks will get stricter.

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #13
Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Ditto on DRZ & Thumpertalk. Good bike, lots of 'em out there, and Thumpertalk has lots of good info--on any model/bike out there.
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #14
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Lots of states are going to be a problem, Oregon, Washington, (obviously Cali) and many other no longer have the easy plating they used to.

I have lots of friends here in Oregon that have a plate, but the DMV will not renew their tags once they expire. Basically Oregon's stance is if the VIN # isn't approved by DOT for highway use from the factory, no dice.

I expect most of the Nation to be this way at some point.

But if you want to go for a new bike and spend lots of $, KTM is the best option. You might be tempted by the DRZ400s (street legal), but it is significantly different from the now discontinued DRZ400e/k (dirt version). It is heavier and slower. Many people have purchased a DRZ400s and converted all the parts to make it like a 400e, but you are talking about a lot of money, (carb, head gasket, exhaust, cam) instead just go buy a KTM.

Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote