Old 02-25-2010   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
More Rigging Questions?

When I'm rowing I like to sit pretty far back with my legs almost stretched all the way out so I can get a good row in, but I'm trying to fit more stuff this year for longer trips. I look at most peoples rigs and their oarlocks are right next to them and I don't see how they get a good row in. I know you want to keep most weight centered for pivoting. Do I need to cramp my style and give myself less room? Or, Should I only worry about having my weight centered in big water? Any photos or info would great.

Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #2
looks like we have the same rig so I'll take a stab but I don't know what kind of frame you have. Do you mean centered or balanced? I can't say I've ever worried about having my weight centered in the boat but I don't want to be nose or tail heavy.

I've got the NRS frame and I do the same thing, I like to have my legs out straight which gets my knees lower for the return stroke of the oars. Some of it depends on which seat you have and oar stands. I went to the taller ones and those helped quite bit and I've tried all the seats. the low back is shallower so it doesn't push your knees up like highback does. Most of the time I sit on my dry box though which is a fairly tall one so I'm on the edge. For multi-days when I don't have the fishing setup on I run the standard table/drop bag, cooler, rower, dry box setup. In a 14' boat this does get a bit tight in the back but I've never had to stack things real high in the back. I've felt the same way at times that I should be utilizing that big rowers compartment a bit better but you can always fit at least a couple bags down in there on each side or under your legs. so far been fine on week long trips with a couple adults and kids. although, to be fair, I've got a big group so I don't end up carrying much of the kitchen gear, etc. I can go self sufficient for 3 or 4 days though. Every year I tweak it a little more and packing gets progressively better every trip you do, you can definitely make it work.

I don't think I have a great pic of that current setup I just described but I'll look.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote