Mountain Buzz banner

Molan or RockStar?

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  N. Wigston 
#1 ·
I have always paddle Pyranha boats, from the inazone- S6- 420. I am looking for a new boat. I have not really seen any comparison between the Molan and the Rockstar. Has anyone paddled both? what are the + and - for both.

Thanks for any info!

#3 ·
No info on the rockstar, I was in the all-star all last season though (basically the same boat in a lot of respects). I also paddled a molan for a few days back on ICS last moosefest.

I think with these companies come slightly different philosophies on their boat design.

Jackson will be a wider hull with dampened edges. I feel like it holds good speed while having a lot of stability and making looser turns. Downriver play is also a lot of fun in this boat, really easy to throw wavewheels in.

Pyranha keeps the sharp edge on the molan, so it will be quick to turn like the 420. It is much more narrow than the jackson line, making it more tippy (I suppose phonix monkey's and mcnasty's may come with less effort). After being in an allstar last summer I had trouble dialing this boat in with little time.

I've been hearing great things about the project x, seems to be a good boat.

As far as the rockstar, I saw D. Urban going big in it the other week. Someone with that skill is going to go big in any playboat these days though.

All in all I think you should get in these boats before you make any decision. Especially if you plan on buying retail, get the boat you like best.

#4 ·
All the new play boats are the same. Thats my .02. Anything I can do in my project, I can do in a LL, Jackson, dagger, or WS boat. The boat don't make the boater. Buy what you feel comfotable in. If your ass is happy and your legs don't pass out then you found the perfict boat. I mean if Bryan Kirk paddled a molan, he'd still be the champ. If Eric Jackson paddled a dagger, he'd still be the king. If you want to argue micro differents, then go for it. But the new boats are within one degree of sepperation. It aint like the old days when you would compare a X boat to a session, ya know..

#10 ·
I mostly agree that its the pilot and not the craft and boats are pretty similar these days. But, much as I like my Dagger Nomad, The Agent sucks and I believe that is still their top of the line playboat. Andrew Holcombe is as good a boater as any of the top 10 and he has been at a big disadvantage in that boat the last couple years. Be interesting to see how the new boats compare to the Allstar cuz that was an obvious home run for the last couple seasons.

#7 ·
Have Been in both boats and definitely love the rockstar! The moulan was great but wasn't a big fan of the outfitting! So I recently bought a rockstar and my ass couldn't be happier! Get in both boats demo them and go with what feels best! Both great boats but I prefer the rockstar!

#8 ·
I haven't paddled them, but I personally think the Project X design looks like the best boat. Also, I know WS cockpits are super comfy and performance fitting.

In talking with a guy at Confluence, he has paddled the Rock Star and Project X and agrees saying he felt the Project X performed best overall. He felt the Rock Star has a small advantage in loops with its short stern, but otherwise the Project X did everything else easier.

#9 · (Edited)
Good info since I am looking at a new Molan or project x. Jackson is good as well but the outfitting is love or hate and I have reached the hate phase. I paddled the Molan in a pool so I cant say I recommend or not at this point but I will agree with the person above that said it is narrower in the front and is a quick boat from a transition standpoint(somewhat tippy). I personally loved the outfitting in the Molan so demo the boats and let that help make your decision. WS outfitting seems nice as well but I like the shaped Molan seat, it fit my butt nicely.

#12 ·
I just bought the Project X after paddling the 2010 Allstar for a year and a half- I can say that it throws down and is a bit more fun that that version of the Allstar. The Rockstar looks fun, but a I haven't tried it yet.
The X outfitting took a bit to dial down, and it seems that they should have allowed for more seat adjustment in the forward position- I find myself sitting more on the front of the seat- but it is silky smooth and really fun in a hole, once you have it dialed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.