Old 04-09-2010   #1
new braunfels, Texas
Paddling Since: 5
maxxon tubes

can anybody out there tell me about maxxon tubes and if they know of anyone who has owned a catarft with maxxon tubes.

i plan to purchase a pair of 14' at the end of the summer.

any response will be appreciated

ron womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #2
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
I have a buddy with a set of 16' maxxon tubes. He has had them about 5 years and never had a problem. He always over loads it and it seems to handle great. They are glued pvc so don't expect them to last for ever. But for the money they seem like a great deal.

whitewatercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #3
new braunfels, Texas
Paddling Since: 5
thank you for response whitewatercowboy
ron womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #4
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I've heard people who own them or are selling them will tell you they are just as good as anything else. I personally wouldn't believe it. But if you are looking for something just to fish in its probably not a big deal.

If you are alking about using this for whitewater, then I'd say save your money and instead buy a set of used good quality tubes like aire, nrs, sotar, or maravias.
You should be able to pick up some bomber tubes for about the same price as the new Maxxons.

the aire tribs are probably much better quality than the maxon but they will be the first to admit they are nowhere near as good as the 10 year std product. there are some specials on these pages
AIRE | Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Whitewater Rafting Accessories and Boats

I had a set of NRS tubes tear like paper on a rock on the shore. I only run Maravia and Aire now ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #5
Engineer Civil Structural Hydraulic, Evans CO
Paddling Since: 68
Maxxon has tubes that are pvc construction. They are a long waterline tube with good bouyancy values and perfectly compatable with the best whitewater or fishing. Typical life spans are about 7 years (holds true to all PVCs). A life cycle cost analysis makes them attractive to the river-runner that isn't caught up in the propaganda wars. I challange you to do the arithmetic.
Gary Strome
Friends Don't Let Friends Drive PVC Boats
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #6
I bought a set of Maxxon tubes and frame from Gary last Summer. Very happy with them. By the way, was able to get tubes, frame, drop bags, oars, straps, cooler for less than what a set of name brand tubes runs.

Took them down Hells canyon of the Snake for their virgin run and they preformed great. No complaints. My lines were just as clean as any high end rig I have run.
JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #7
SE, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1991
I have a set of 8' used for scrappy mild water runs (smallmouth water out East) and they are at least 10 years old and still going strong. Recently got a 16' pair and they appear to be plenty stout, no use on the 16' yet.

smallie is offline   Reply With Quote