Old 03-30-2009   #1
teacher= SUMMERS OFF
Maxxon 16 ft tubes. Grand Canyonworthy?

I'm heading down the grand this May and thinking about getting some 16 foot tubes for my cat. I currently have 14 1/2 foot NRS tubes and have run heck of a lot of rivers of all sizes with them and will continue to do so since I like the shorter tubes. However, I've rowed bucket boats down the Grand but never a cat and I'm thinking that 16 foot tubes would be nice. I don't realy need tubes of this length very often, just once a year or so when invited on trips with a bunch of kayakers who need thier gear carried, so I'm reluctant to drop a bunch of money in welded tubes. Will the Maxxon tubes (22.5 inch diameter) provide a sufficent/ reliable ride through Lava et. all?

tomt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #2
Just got off. We had a guy in a 12'6 hyside. Ran big everywhere. Couldn't carry as much, but had great runs. So, is what worthy?

rafterbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #3
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
One of our boats is a maxxon 14 raft, about 6 years old now, we have had it for 2.5 years (got the thing used with a salmon river frame, rear rowing frame, 2 oars, k-pump, and some other goodness for $1000 after only being used about 10 days or less, mostly got it for the accessories). Works fine, but showing the very first initial signs of glue problems on the seam tape. No leaks yet. Probably has a few more years left. Maxxon has been making sport boats (i.e. zodiac style) for a very very long time with good results, so they do know how to glue. Just be aware, they are glued and will have a limited lifespand as such. I have some 12' maxxon tubes and they work fine. Haven't been on the grande though. One thing I really like about maxxon, is you wont have to argue with a maxxon rep about the quality of their product, they don't spam all the whitewater boards.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote