Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 04-02-2010   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Marine Grade Plywood

Are there any cheaper alternatives to marine grade plywood? I'm building a deck for my cat. What other things have you seen or done for this application? If Marine grade is the best choice, what is the best sealant? I don't want a paint department guy telling what works the best, I'd rather take advise from somebody that has used it and tested it on the water.

Thanks,

TA
Salt Lake City

Old 04-02-2010   #2

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Just get a sheet of 3/4 CDX or ACX plywood from the lumber yard. The x stands for exterior glue, and they will work just fine. you can then paint or stain as you see fit, with an exterior product of course.

Old 04-02-2010   #3

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
I wouldn't even go to the extra expense of the marine grade plywood. My cat decks are shop birch plywood (cabinet grade - about $45 a sheet), and I finish them off with three heavy coats of exterior polyurethane. This makes them pretty slippery, but peel-and-stick stair treads add traction. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2010   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
IMHO......marine grade ply is for building ships yachts and lake type power and row boats.....it's not meant for and is way too expensive for the abuse of white water boating.

I've always used regular plywood and a good oil based spar varnish. The trick is to put on lots of thin coats to avoid drips and pooling of the varnish. The wood will suck in the first 3 or 4 coats so it takes a long time, like a week to give them enough drying time and finish build up. Every 10 years or so.... I sand them down and do it again.
Old 04-02-2010   #5

Broomfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1
I agree with jamwin33. I built decking for my cat out of shop birch, not to expensive. Then coated it with Herculiner, which is a truck bed roll on liner. This seals the wood and gives it a nice texture to cut down on the slip/falls. Works great and is easy to touch up it needed.
Old 04-02-2010   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwin33 View Post
I wouldn't even go to the extra expense of the marine grade plywood. My cat decks are shop birch plywood (cabinet grade - about $45 a sheet), and I finish them off with three heavy coats of exterior polyurethane. This makes them pretty slippery, but peel-and-stick stair treads add traction. Good luck.
You can add either clean play sand directly to your polyurethane, or a stock texture product - I bought a house with a painted deck - slick as glass when when or snowy - and added this to a coat of poly: Rust-Oleum 214383A "Epoxy Shield" Anti-Skid Additive 8 Oz.

It's totally non-slip now, but not too rough for bare feet.
Old 04-02-2010   #7

Palisade, Colorado
Marine Plywood or plastics?

Does anyone use plastic decking instead of wood?

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ing-22093.html
Old 04-02-2010   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Thank you to everybody that responded to this post. When I was looking at the Marine Grade, I didn't like how thick and heavy it was. I'll definately go with the cheaper stuff. I'm really psyched to have this resource (mountainbuzz). It entertains and saves money!

T
Old 04-02-2010   #9

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
You can add either clean play sand directly to your polyurethane, or a stock texture product - I bought a house with a painted deck - slick as glass when when or snowy - and added this to a coat of poly: Rust-Oleum 214383A "Epoxy Shield" Anti-Skid Additive 8 Oz.

It's totally non-slip now, but not too rough for bare feet.
I've seen people get serious road rash from the sand added to the finish. If you decide to add some sand to the finish make sure it is in the first or second coat and then put lots of coats of urethane on top of the sand to lessen its grittiness. I've never had any problems with the smooth finish being to slick but I prefer not to raft in the snow.
Old 06-10-2010   #10

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
If you want marine grade, see if you can find a place that sells the downfall. Marine grade means there are no knot holes, splits, etc in any of the plys (core also) solid all the way though. If your going to cut it, you can cut around the defect that downgraded the panel. I've seen a lot of marine ply get downgraded to sheathing because of core gaps.