Old 05-03-2011   #1
Telluride, Colorado
Mamba 7.5 or Remix 59?

For several years now, I've been dabbling in and out of the kayak scene. With trips down Gates of Lodore, Gunny Gorge, Blue, etc. in my hardshell, I call myself lucky since these non-flipping runs were clearly not due to skill.

I really want to hone in on skills & technique this summer and am planning on starting from scratch. My goals are to develop technical skills (rather than relying on luck and strength), try to develop a reliable roll and enjoy my time on the river rather than being gripped in my boat and relieved when the run is over. Surfing and playing are not in the game plan (as of now).

So... what boat to purchase? I've spent the past few years in my husband's boats including a Jackson Rocker, Jackson Fun, Pyranha Inazone and a Dancer and want to purchase a boat that is suitable to my size and goals.

I've narrowed down the search to the Mamba and Remix. They both seem to be solid beginner boats that are conducive to stability and ease of rolling.

I am drawn to the Bad Ass outfitting of the Remix but am concerned about the length. Is that extra 9" a big deal? Will I be pushing my friends out of the eddy with a big 'ol boat? Remix reviews also present it's speed as a desirable feature of the boat (which I understand) but will I be that much faster than my playboat comrades?

The Mamba sounds like a super boat for me as well but someone mentioned the boat as being "old school". Why?

I realize I need to go and sit in the boats and that will probably be the determining factor; however, I'd love to hear any insight anyone might have on these two boats.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Otis1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #2
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I own a family of Remix's. A 69 for my self, 59 for the wife and a 47 for my daughter. The boat is great in all aspects. Rolls easy, punches well and is fast. If I paddle with some one that is in a Jackson I make sure to give extra room when entering a rapid. Even with out taking hard forward strokes I seem to catch them before the exit. One thing that needs to be mentioned though. There is no hard edge on the remix. So you will need to drive the boat rather than leaning and expecting it to turn. Yet it does have good secondary stability at around a 45 to 55 deg angle.

If you go sit in both boats, you will more than likely choose the Remix.

Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #3
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
both are outstanding boats!, both are great beginner and beyond boats. I'm a little bias towards the Remix (better comfort, build and quality).
You won't notice the 8 longer inches after a day in the boat
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #4
Ward, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've paddles both.

You obviously need to see which boat feels better to sit in. Past that, they have different hull shapes. The remix is probably a small bit more friendly since it's more of a displacement hull (old school, mamba is not) but as you progress in skill you may find that you prefer the hull shape of the mamba since it has a planing hull and mild edges. The differences are not extreme, but you would notice them. Also of some consideration, liquid logic makes a better boat than dagger. I love my mamba but the plastic is cheap and it is prone to leak. Would never trade it for a remix though, but thats all about preference. Either boat will be easy to roll, when you learn to roll properly the differences in hull shape will not be noticeable, your body position in the boat will, again more about preference. I wouldn't get too worked up, both are popular boats and you could always sell it and switch.

Hope that helps, j-
jrutkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #5
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
For big boats I paddle a Remix and my wife paddles a Mamba.

I've paddled both and they are not hugely different. The Mamba has a bit more primary stabilty, and both are easy rollers, but when I hit rocks in the Mamba the plastic flexes too much for my liking. It doesn't feel as solid and that's odd because the dry weight isn't much different. I also never notice the length difference. I stayed dryer in the Remix, but that may be because of skirt fitment. If overnights are in your plan I'd take the Remix. If a more true displacement hull makes you feel unstable go Mamba.

You'd probably be happy in either boat.
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #6
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Another vote for the remix. I'm on the small side and paddle a 59 and love it! Linedawg pretty much said it all, my favorite part about the boat is the speed. You can get to where you want on the river and get there fast. The outfitting is superior too IMO.
fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #7
The Bitterroot, Montana
Big vote for a Mamba here! I domoed both and got the Mamba. Most boats feel the same to roll to me. The Mamba really feels like the easiest boat to roll I have ever been in. Once you start to progress you will like the fact that it has edges. I think being a "begginer" boat it does not get the respect it deserves as a creeker. Yes, daggers leak, but most people who own them like the shape enough that they are willing to deal (WTF Dagger, figure this shit out!) A tube of seem grip and some bitchithane take care of the problem.

Reasons I like the mamba more:
Super nimble, crisp eddy turns, surfs a tad better, rolls like a dog in heat.
Some big water junkies do like the remix more for speed, I think the mamba is a better all arounder.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #8
The Bitterroot, Montana
P.s. the older mambas outfitting sucks. If you get one made in the last few years with a "creeker" seat it is way comfy. I paddled one on an overnighter with a broken femur and a crutch straped to my deck and was happy.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #9
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1990
I think the Mamba is easier to paddle, the Remix is a faster boat. Mamba is better for surfing and quick changes in line. The Remix holds a line a little better in big water, but is harder to change lines. I think the Mamba is a better learning/teaching boat, higher end paddlers seem to like the Remix more? Both great boats!
Jacksonholekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #10
boulder, Colorado
Another big YES for the Mamba.

jd123 is offline   Reply With Quote