Old 01-10-2012   #11
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Simple answer is a 14' boat is big enough for the Main's whitewater, assuming modest flows, which is probably what you'll have this year. As far as gear, loading, etc., well, that's up to you.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've been running the Main Salmon in a 14 ft. Cat for about 8-10 years now. I use a 96 X 66 NRS frame. I don't carry a passenger, and carry my gear plus a moderate amount of group gear. My river rafting partner has a 14 ft. Cat with a wider frame and that boat always runs with a passenger & gear. No problems. The Main Salmon is a deep / wide river that never gets too low. You won't be scraping on rocks, but you may see some big water if you go early in the season.
Have fun.....The Main Salmon is my all time favorite trip.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #13
Originally Posted by randyk View Post
We are hoping to get a permit for the main salmon which i have never run. If we don't get it we will run the lower salmon which i have done several times in rafts.

No lottery permit needed before June 20th!
14' No problem!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #14
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I've run a 14' ocelot with gear and a passenger several times at several flows. No problem, ever. I didn't pack light. With group gear spread evenly, you will be just fine. There just aren't many difficult lines or tough pulls that require a lot of maneuvering on that river, so while that boat with a lot of weight might not be an ideal performance setup, the water is not demanding enough to require it.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
can't speak for higher flows but at lower water levels the last 25 miles are seemingly nearly a dead current most of the time. add in a headwind and it can be a bit of work to get downstream. start early past the south fork ,if you need miles.

have fun though,it's a good time.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #16
Hamilton, Montana
That's what i wanted to hear are from folks that have run it. I am an experienced boater and trip camper. My wife on the other hand just started white water and extended trips last year. The last thing i want to do is scare her out of the water. Your post eased my mind about that. Plus i LOVE my Ocelot and did not want to start over and get all bigger stuff.

Thanks to all that posted and shared your valuable experiences!
See you on the river
randyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #17
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Couple of Main Salmon tips.....
If you don't draw a permit, keep a close watch on the website for cancellations. If you & your group are patient & a little flexible you can usually get a permit on or close to your desired date. The majority of my trips over the last 7 years have been cancellations.

There were two new rapids formed on the Main Salmon in the last year. Alder Creek and Black Creek. Both are worth a scout, especially Black Creek. It's a pretty good sized rapid with a nice hit. We ran it last August without a scout and everyone did fine (including a newbie), but we all got bounced around a bit.

The flatwater that upshitcreek is referring to is what we lovingly call "Salmon Lake." It starts around Five Mile Bar (mile 54) and runs to around mile 64ish. Not many rapids or swift current in that stretch, so as upshitcreek advised, get an early start that day to avoid afternoon winds. You'll go out with a bang on your last day to Carey Creek (or wherever you choose to take-out) with three good rapids.....Dried Meat, Chittam, and Vinegar.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other Main Salmon questions.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #18
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Have run it in pretty much the same set up as cataraftgirl, as well as in a larger & heavily loaded cat.

In theory, you have a top load of 900lbs on those tubes, but strive to be well under that. If your floor is close to touching the water (bad) or below waterline (worse) you are dangerously overloaded. 2 people w/ a light set up is doable.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #19
Hamilton, Montana
Thanks KJ And MM

Great info KJ on the rapids etc. We will be looking for cancellations if we don't draw. We really want to do this trip this year. It started off as an annual father son float trip but has grown. All older boys around 25 now. Lots of beer going with us. I will probably PM you KJ.

randyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #20
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Q:We are hoping to get a permit for the main salmon which i have never run.

A: Me too and every one else on this site plus thousands more.

Q: My question is will the 14" Ocelot do ok loaded for 2 people ( me and the wife avg size ) plus gear. We will probably go lite on the personal camping gear etc. We will be with several bigger cats and rafts. Any advice on loading from those that have done the main? will the Ocelot do ok? I have read it my be too small.

A: your boat is just fine. There are no "real moves" to make on that whole run. so load that pig down, divide gear, and float the middle of the river.

PS. If you draw the permit, just make everyone that comes alone pack the the gear. Thats how we roll. The person who draws is king for a float. Just the benes of drawing gota be worth something.

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote