Old 09-15-2013   #1
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
lowering thigh braces?

Has anyone ever done this? I am not very tall 5'4" and paddle a Burn for creek and big volume rivers. I also paddle a Varun and a Star and the thigh braces are perfect on those boats for me (especially the Varun). When I am in the Burn I feel like my knees are not tight and no matter how close I bring in my feet they still don't feel right. I have to concentrate on pushing on them to stay engaged. This does not fare well with my injured knee at all. I was thinking of adding foam to lower the knee position. Has anyone ever done this? Suggestion??

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Maybe Add foam under the butt instead of above the knees? Might help! Does help give some extra momentum in play boating. Kinda like how a c1 can get a super quick snappy cartwheel. Better tripod

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #3
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Hmmm...thanks Casper Mike. I might try that. It does make sense to raise myself up. I actually have done that in my playboat. Maybe I'll do both...add foam to the knees and the seat. Just not quite sure how to do it to the knees.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Some ppl will buy sweet cheeks to help close the gap. Inflatable goes under your thighs to effectively raise your legs without building up your seat.

On the new wavesports you can raise the very front part of the seat towards your body for a snug fit. Pretty cool invention.
History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I have added foam to the thigh braces on my Remix and Freeride. Had to sell my Diesel (first generation 65) because I could never get good contact with the thigh braces. Wavesport used to have what I term as more 'hook-like" thigh braces then they got really flat. I've noticed that they've gone back to the old style on at least one of the 2013 boats I looked at. I have used pieces of foam that are about 1/2" thick and are half circles. I normally add two to get good contact. I glue them to the edge of the LL thigh brace and they tend to extend down slightly to the inside of my thigh which is what I need for rolling. Works great. I also covered the finished product with a very thin piece of neoprene.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
You might also make sure your seat is positioned properly. What you describe can be the result of a seat that's back too far though if you're not having any issues with control your seat is likely in the right spot.

On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote