Old 03-30-2013   #1
low water one man cat

i already have a 14' maravia cat, but with the low water we saw in western colorado last year, and the low snowpack we have this year, i would like to get a smaller cat. i am not going to sell my 14', but i have been wanting to pick up a 9' or so one person cat. last year i never ran the upper roaring fork, i ran the colorado a couple of times, but then starting tubing shoshone.

i see the one person cats made for fishing, but they look pretty wimpy. i have been told that they will not hold up to serious whitewater. are there quality 8 to 9 foot tubes out there? or other options?

my main intent is to be able to run some water that my 14'er is too big for, but also to make bigger flows more exciting.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #2
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
Jack's Plastic makes a "Pac Cat" and their stuff is bomber.

Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The Outcast brand of fishing cats are pretty sturdy. I still have my Outcast PAC 1000 that's 15 years old and going strong. They are a division of Aire and the tubes are the same, just a lighter weight. Excellent quality. The frames are meant for fishing but will function fine for day runs if you're not too crazy. Easy to moderate class III is totally doable. This is the boat I learned to row whitewater on. Lots of Alpine Canyon trips, Split Mountain, Green River daily, etc. You might be able to get their tubes and make your own frame? Give them a look. Definitely a more low cost option than a small Sotar/Aire/Maravia etc. cat.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #4
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Most of the smaller fishing cats such as those by Scaddon and Waterskeeter use a 1" dia. tube with a wall thickness of about 1/16". While the manufactors claim these boats are rated class IV there is no way these frames are as strong as the 1 5/8" dia. X 1/8" thick aluminum tubes on a typical raft rig.

I have used mine (WaterSkeeter River Tamer II) on the San Jaun and Deso/Grey but only on group trips where I could get a ride out on another boats if there was a problem. I'm comfortable in class II/III water in my boat but for bigger stuff I want more frame strength.

My boat has 9' x 16" dia. pontoons, it can't carry much gear in the rear cargo platform with out getting really out of trim. Fine for a day trip with some spare cloths and lunch, but it would be really tough to pack it for an overnight. No way I could carry a med. size cooler.

On a Yampa trip I observed an other group with one of these boats. It folded like a paper clip the first big rapid...
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #5
Sandy, Utah
I've used my Outcast PAC 1000 on overnight trips many times, but with a group, not solo. I carried a small soft cooler, my food, and personal gear just fine. Granted I was packing light and conservative on food & gear. But I was a little better than backpacker style. I have seen them on the Middle Fork in the fall on several occasions. They looked to be carrying their own dry bags with personal gear, while their support rafts had the group stuff. I talked with them at the take-out, and they all had at least one flip, but otherwise did fine, with no damaged boats or frames. They had a blast.
The Outcast PAC line is made by Aire with a 10 year warranty. They use 1100 PVC instead of 1670 like their regular Cataraft line. Their valves are the same as their regular cats. They have 18 inch tubes. A really well made boat that could do a lot of fun stuff in the right hands. The only "fishing cat" I would recommend for anything over class II.
My 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-30-2013   #6
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I run a Sotar 14' ST- but also have a Watermaster for small creek, low flow, solo floats. It is a better fishing platform when you're alone- and it handles some decent sized waves- but you're gonna get wet. I've run the Gunnison play park waves, those in Salida on the Ark and Trestles on the Eagle when it was record high two springs ago- It's a fun little boat to have in the quiver- I use it for just what you're talking about.
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #7
peoria, Arizona
Have 2 boats for narrow/low water configuration

My favorite is the 10x19 boat. Maxxon tubes with homemade 55x52 inch frame. Absolutely spins on a dime and is surprisingly stable. But the better configuration is the 14x21 size. NRS tubes on a JPW cutthroat frame (which is only 14 inches between the tubes. Carries 2-3 times the gear and actually draws less water. Both boats can be moved about solo which is a major consideration for me since I do a lot of stuff solo. Both use the same set of 7.5 oars. Never trusted the fake oars/locks that all the pontoon boats use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6862.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	5876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	5877  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GilaBoxJan08_055.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	5878  
deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #8
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a outcast pac1000 snd its great... I actually just put it up for sale.. I'm trying to buy a tandem ik so I can take the special lady friend on little day trips.. pm mevif your interested... $700
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #9
Sandy, Utah
Nice looking mini-cats you got there deadlizard.
Old 04-01-2013   #10
peoria, Arizona
I love the little cat.

Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Nice looking mini-cats you got there deadlizard.
Not very practical though.

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote