Old 08-16-2013   #11
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
so i spent $1675 on my brand new paddilac2, with only a half-decent pro-deal. i'd only buy a sea eagle if i found it for 100 or so, fully expecting to kill it on it's maiden...
you can get a new tomcat tandem for $800 or so. i think the tomcat seems just as rugged as a strike or even a lynx, but half the cost. never tried a force, but i'm fat, so i doubt i could handle it well.
aire kicks ass, especially with duckies. i dig my tomcat. her names is darkwing. i've spent 4 years tryin to beat the shit out of it. not even a deep scratch on it yet.
sea eagle makes dinghy's for rich people to strap to the back of their yachts. not the best for whitewater. unless it was free. $1200=no thanks for me

if you got money for a real boat i saw a used hyside paddilac2 on the buzz gear swap for like 1350. it's from a guy i used to work with, i actually bought my first tupperware boat from him(WS godzilla!). if i hadn't just bought a new one, i woulda bought his myself....

hyside Padillac II - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

here's him in big drop 3!! sorry bro! i love this vid. i show it to everyone!!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #12
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Cool vid Ben. I actually got my sea eagle for $75 on craigslist. Money's tight right now so I'm putting a high pressure floor from NRS in it for $230. Looking to pick up a trib solo next year. Started paddling IK a few years ago and am now running some 3- with it, bighorn canyon above royal gorge. Probably keep it for boating friends/kids in class 1/2 so don't mind the expense on it. Love to step up to an Aire if I could find one used for the right money. If I don't end up in hardshell kayak, may eventually look at the Aire Force.

formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #13
Derby, Connecticut
Paddling Since: 1975
Can't speak highly enough regarding the AIRE Lynx 1, as I (6' 7" and 220 lbs) and my dog (59 lbs) go out in it all the time and the boat is absolutely bomb proof
"Catch Me If You Can...."
Otterwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #14
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Looking at IK for 2 or 3, multiuse

How about the Aire Super Lynlx? Biggish for class IV but for flat up to class III? We need to be able to handle around 600 lbs.
Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #15
Florence, Colorado
Aire is a great boat. I'm sure the super Lynx will perform well. Check out the similarly sized Tributary if price is an issue. There should be a dealer near you someplace.
Old 08-19-2013   #16
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I love all the Sea Eagle bashing...I knew it was coming.

Anyways I have had a 380x for 3 years, and I like it very much. As far as your width, I don't *think* it'll be problem...I have a buddy almost your size that has used it and never complained. We even have run it tandem in some bouldery class II/III and it held us both pretty well. It does bail slowly (I've thought about adding extra bailers but I run it dry very often.) I REALLY like the option to run wet or dry- that's not something you get with other IKs. I've always found it to be the most comfortable IK I've been in. We call it the floating couch.

The explorer series (380x/420x) are actually made very well IMO, the sport series are crap no doubt. Mine survived a really nasty pin and extraction and was no worse for wear. The inflatable seats are more comfortable than any IK seat I've tried. The thing is the truck of the IK world. It's a little sluggish and tracks poorly without the skeg, but I think the new ones have a different system. The separate floor hasn't been an issue for me, although you can strap it down to make it bail faster. The construction of the drop stich has performed well IMO. The NEW floor is an improved design with more holes and should bail better.

It's a great IK for fishing (I can stand, have a fishfinder and 2 pole mount on mine) and works great in the rocky smallmouth rivers around here...It's also very good for camping as it can hold a ton of crap. It's not the best whitewater IK but will do to get you into it. They also come with all the extras and stuff you need, where most boats don't and it adds up quickly. (has a *decent* paddle, pump, repair kit etc). I also got a replacement seat awhile back and the fittings and material got cheaper feeling. Don't know if that was a trend or what?

With that said, the newer models are starting to price themselves outta the market IMO @ $950. When I got mine I got a used hull to knock off $100 and I think it cost me about $650 to get on the water? I just looked and they do have used hulls right now. With the new pricing and the OTHER affordable options I don't think I would have made the same decision today, although ultimately I am happy with the purchase I made. It fits a nice niche in my quiver of boats.

I'd look at the tomcat's and maybe outlaws as they are now cheaper ...although, they aren't quite the fishing/ gear hauling platform that the SE is.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #17
Florence, Colorado
Guess it depends what your use is. I am on class 2-4 whitewater on Arkansas. Seems to me SE wants to do everything. Whitewater boats are specific use. Even hardshell kayaks have specific uses, i.e. creeking, play boat, river running. After the separate floor issue and slow draining making it sluggish it seems like they want to do too much for any specific application. The NRS Outlaw is likewise a separate floor for only $5 less than a Tomcat. Maybe with a higher pressure floor it will perform better. And the floor I am getting is for an outlaw. SE doesn't even make a high pressure replacement except for the 420x.