Old 05-03-2011   #1
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Looking to buy my first kayak.

I didn't want to say it but, what is a good entry level boat for a large paddler?
I am 6'2" and 210lbs. and i bit confused about sizing. I have seen gallons, length, and s/m/l/xl/etc...
I am not looking to get wild, just something to throw in the river after work. The raft requires too much effort and a kayak, or even SUP, looks like a lot more fun on the townie float. probably wont ever see anything over a III.
I have no experience but I'm not worried about that, and a coworker is willing to teach me a liitle.
I don't have a local shop so I'm stuck on-line.
My question is mostly about what size and (I know there are thousands of opinions out there) style would be a good beginner boat.
And just one more thing, what is oil canning.

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

SALRVRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Sounds like a "river runner" kayak would be a good choice for you.
CKS| River Running Kayaks: Liquid Logic Remix, Pyranha Ammo, Wavesport Diesel & more
They are easier to learn in, and are more forgiving for river running in general. I am the exact same size as you, and like to paddle river running boats in the 80 gallon range. 80-90 gallons seems to work for me. The more "volume" in a boat, the higher it sits out of the water, the less it is effected by river features, and the more comfortable you are. The Pyranha Karnali seems to fit me well and is good for my needs.It is fast, stable and can punch through meaty features well due to the speed that it can generate. The Liquid Logic Remix (79) is another good boat - awesome outfitting and very forgiving, fast and predictable. The WaveSport Diesel 80, and Jackson Super Hero are good choices too. They would all get the job done - and then some.

Oil canning is when the hull of a boat begins to divot. Small oil can spots may not effect the performance of a boat. Larger oil cans can begin to negatively effect the way a boat paddles.

Here is a blog review that addresses a few of the questions that you asked:
So you want to go Creekin'? - Colorado Kayak Supply BlogColorado Kayak Supply Blog

Hope that helps.

ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #3
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Jackson Hero or maybe a super hero. You can get comfy and surf in that boat.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Enroll in a professionally guided multi-day whitewater class before you buy a boat. Not to dis your coworker, but a certified whitewater instructor will DRILL you with fundamentals that a more-or-less casual helper will miss out on. Most respectable companies that offer river instruction also provide all the gear you need and they have a variety of boats to suit the needs of different customers. This is an excellent way to demo more than one boat for free while learning the most important basic kayaking moves. It's also a great way to make friends that you might very well paddle with for years to come as you progress to more difficult whitewater. If whitewater kayaking catches on for you, there's a very good chance you will want to push your boundaries above class III. Have fun!
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote