Old 03-16-2004   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Looking For Steel Rack Ideas

Putting together a new rack for my new truck. Got alot of ideas from the last one but am always looking to make it better. Anything kayak, gear or construction materials related you have seen to wrap a cap with I would love to hear. Looking specifically for any inovative tie down systems, especially for a side mount play boat carrier, but any beta would be appreciated. Hilift jack mounts and adjustable width extension devices are also on the drawing board so I would love ideas.
Thanks for the help

Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Weld on yakima / Thule bars

I had Larry Remuda weld two 6" Yakima bars along each side of the top bars, so I could mount paddle keeper or bike mounts. Here are a couple of other suggestions:

For a side Kayak /Bike mount, weld a female pipe onto the vertical sides of the rack, so you can fit 1' yakima bars into the side of the rack- secured with a cotter pin. Then you would have non-permanent bars to secure a boat on the side, which you could remove so that you don't decapitate yourself walking around your truck.

Be mindful of the placement of the front bar if you extend the rack over the cab. It should be a little forward of the top of the windshield- if it's directly over the cab, the wind resistance can cause a hell of a lot of noise. If you want another crossbar between the front bar and the capper, have the welder install a removable crossbar over your cab so that you can leave it in the garage most of the year. The only time you need the bar up front is when you're carting 12 boats around.

Don't go crazy on the tie-downs. With straps, you don't really need them. I didn't include any on my rack & the only place I wish I had them is right near the front, where the bar wraps around the windshield. Sometimes the straps can slip around that bend.

if they can, get them to run wiring for a light mount in the bars so you can set up a floodlight for the back of your truck.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004   #3
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
"Steel" Rack

Hey Buddy!!
I have a "rack" idea for you, only it doesn't include steel. Maybe a steel beam to hang things from though. Hee Hee.
I do think that if you can inclue a basket type bottom that would be good for the gear that can be tossed on top. Keep storage in mind, whatever you may lose with the flush cap, maybe you can make some of that up on top with a rack. A cage storage box or something that you can lock or something like that might be a good idea. Good luck hope it works out well for you.
madmoe is offline   Reply With Quote