Old 04-21-2016   #1
Oamaru, New Zealand
Paddling Since: 2016
looking for some advice on first WW kayak

Hi, i am about to buy my first WW kayak and looking for some advice. i will be using it in the small rivers and also in the surf at the beach. i have looked at the liquid logic jefe and also the wave sport Habitat and i was looking for some more suggestions.

Corban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dagger Nomad and Mamba, Pyranha Burn, Jackson Zen and Karma, Liquid Logic Stomper and Remix

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Catch Waves

If you're looking to actually catch waves and surf you may want to look into boats with more aggressive edge than the Jefe. That will really help keep you straight and in control while riding waves.
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #4
Confluence, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1999
The pyranha burn as mentioned above is a great river runner that can surf waves as well because it has a planing hull and hard edges. It is a good boat to learn in but isn't as forgiving a boat with a displacement or semi-planing hull. Those style will sacrifice surfing for a little more margin of error.
huckh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #5
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Thats kind of a weird combo. When I think small rivers, I'm thinking that you will be hitting small to medium sized rocks from time to time. Maybe even sliding over rocks. Rounder more rockered "displasment" hulled boats like the jefe are great in that kinda water.

When I think surfing, Its a flat bottom "planning" hull that ya really want.

So, with that in mind, I'm thinking Jackson hero, pyranha nano or ammo.

If your idea of a small river is deep enough that you rarely will be hitting rocks. Then Jackson Fun.

Good Luck.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #6
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
If you can still get Blissticks in NZ the Mystic is a creek boat with some good edges and a semi planning hull, definitely a creeker (better for steep rivers) but also surfs decently well, similar in functionality to the burn. The Huka is another smaller option but if I remember correctly the Mystic has more defied edges.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016   #7
Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Jackson FunRunner is an underrated boat by far. It surfs like a dream and can river run anything but true creeking. Both Zen series are really good. An older RPM really kicks ass for what you describe..... The new Brap or Mullet look pretty cool too for river running and surfing. Some older boats from Necky are really good too like the Jive and RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016   #8
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Adding to the above ideas, the Dagger Axiom makes a good ocean surfer.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #9
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Wavesport Z?? Will do everything the OP wants and more.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote