Old 08-22-2004   #1
looking for good cheap boat for new yaker

I am 5'5'' 115 lbs and Im looking for a boat that would fit me plus any tips that would help me when Im looking for a boat

Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #2
At your size most older playboats will be great river runners for you. I run a kayak program with high school students and run a lot of young women through. A Wave Sport Kinetic has been a great boat for us. It is older and can be gotten for around $300 or less. As far as new boats the LL Trigger is the perfect boat for someone your size.

Regardless you should look for a planning hull because it is stable and makes the boat easy to turn.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #3
Check out the Jackson 2 Fun. The width is smaller than most boats out now. It will be easy for you to roll, learn to play and run rivers with. The specs fit your size...

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #4
Paddling Since: 1993
How new a boater are you??

Are you just learning the basics or are you able to run down the river and possibly roll on occasion. Also how aggressive are you? This is important because if you are more cautious you will want a stable forgiving boat that will allow you to push yourself slowly and keep you feeling comfortable on the river. If you are aggressive though you will likely get bored in a big stable boat quickly and want to get into something that is sporty and performs. At your weight I would recommend a wavesport stubby, perception 3D, or method air, all of these boats should be available in the $250-500 dollar range. Now if you are aggressive and want to get a boat that you will want to paddle for longer than a month I recamend the liquid logic skip, pyranha S6, wavesport siren, or perception spin. All are good boats I personally prefer the S6 and the skip but I like short surf boats.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #5
pnw, Washington
You wont find a 2 fun cheap at this point. Probably a great boat but not cheap.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004   #6
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
hey molly, i also teach at a private highschool in crested butte.. i have put many kids in prozone 225's... you find them all day long for 2-3 hundred bucks... they are longer(track better) than new school air boats but still have good edges, lines and a super loose hull....... a great learning boat i feel.. i just put a ten year old in one...... he rolls it effortlessly and loves the fit... they are light weight as well....a bit sporty for getting going but all you have to do is try a bit harder and pay attention!!! have fun.... my buddy has another to!!!!...milo 970-275-1890
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hi Molly.

One guy mentioned a Kinetic, and this recirculates an old debate.
Kinetics and older boats like it don't have the flat bottoms of today's boats.
I learned in a Kinetic - and it was awesome at first. Really stable, tremendously fast and easy to roll. I could punch any wave and almost any hole in that boat.
If river running and confidence are most important to you, A Kinetic would work and I would sell you mine REALLY cheap. Maybe $150.
The reason I would sell it so cheap is this: If you are aggressive and think you might want to play, i.e. learn to cartwheel, surf waves, etc., the Kinetic will hold you back drastically. You may only want to paddle it for a month or two or six, and then you'll want a new play boat. But for $150, maybe that's the way to go.
Give me a ring if you'd like to try the boat.
-Mike 719-930-1634

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote