Old 10-13-2008   #11
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
Once again for the future, WRSI offers earpieces that pop in the same as the fullface piece. I swear I don't work for them, I just think they're a really good company that makes smart design decisions. So keep them in mind when you trade up.

As for your other questions:

Floatbags are a necessity. In case (when) you swim they'll keep your boat from being 70+ gallons of weight to retrieve.

Drybags aren't required but i'd get at least one medium sized bag to be able to carry stuff (food, extra clothing, first aid, wallet,
keys, etc.) on your trips. If you guys start to do overnighters later you'll want to get some bags like the wildwassers or similar that double as a storage float/drybag.

Drysuits- generally very expensive. Usually running anywhere from $700-1100. Probably not the best use of your money to start off.

Drytops on the other hand are a good idea. IR (immersion research) and kokatat are two of the best out there. I have friends in both and they love both. I personally use a IR X-Jacket and could not be more pleased with the quality of the product or the customer service. They definitely have won a customer for life. Like I said before, NRS or last years (or 2 years ago) models from CKS or other shops are a great way to get these and save some money. The other option is the gear swap on mtn. buzz.

As for drypants, i don't have any. (For really cold runs I do the wetsuit/drytop combo- not the best but it works.) Some people I know like them, but I've heard a LOT of horror stories from various paddlers and swiftwater instructors about how dangerous (& deadly) they can be. The problem is that if you go under it's possible for water to enter at the waist and then get trapped at the ankles by the gaskets. The pants are then weighing you down underwater. This is obviously a worst case scenario, but it's a bad one.

Hope this helps.

I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #12
Glenwood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The only big guy boat

For big guys, check the Remix 79. But try to sit in all the boats and use them in the pool this winter. Sit in as many as you can (with your shoes on!)

Roll and practice in the ones that "speak to You!"---the ones your feet dont fall asleep in. Very few of the kayak designers are bigger than the average BMX rider ( 5 foot 8 and 150 lbs!)

The R'79 is the perfect kayak for big guys. I know. Im one. Its the only boat that works well on all rivers, easy to hard ( i mean really easy rivers and really hard rivers too!) its easy to roll, is comfortable...all day...with proper footwear on size 12's (protect your feet when you swim) You probably should not be creeking till the end of the next season have a bomber roll and braces etc etc are in excellent shape, go boating everyday, and are in your 20's, like to take risks etc etc.

Getting a creek boat to early can give a beginner a false sense of confidence with their skills and make it too easy for the instructor. Get a good river running boat you can build the right skills in the pool, progress naturally with solid moving water developement, see a ton of rivers, surf some big green waves.

The remix is still very new to Colorado. Its only been out a year, but it is soooo much better for learning than a lot of the creek boats out there. It holds a line, its fast on a ferry, surfs well, rolls automatic. A lot of the creek boats dont have the characteristics of a good all around boat to build a foundation on. Chances are you wont outgrow it and if you decide to get a playboat, it will become your big water/Gore Canyon/West Water Canyon/self support/creek boat.

Try as many big boats as you can (over 75 gallons for the river runners, less for a playboat though, see you at the pool

Originally Posted by bobmcclune View Post
Hello...First Time Poster Here!

6'2" 230lbs Size 12 Shoe; Looking for first WW Kayak, and have no experience until a Winter roll clinic in a couple of weeks. Looking to Buy New or Used, hoping to gain suggestions on kayaks for my skill (none) and size, and also would like direction on best places to buy either local Western PA, or online...

My friends and I (3 of us) in recent discussions have decided that for next Spring we are going to learn and try out WW Kayaking. Originally we thought...we'd just run down to Dicks get the $300 OT Otter or whatever grab a paddle and have at it.

After a quick glance at what is involved in WW Kayaking we realized that we needed to do some research, get the right gear, take a rolling class, and perhaps an actual WW class. Since this thought is only 2-3 weeks old we still have a lot to learn. We have done some online research, reading, and have made contact either in person or via email with quite a few of the local kayak dealers in an attempt to gain as much information about what we will need to have, and what training is necessary before we get involved next season.

First off, and probably most important...what kind of kayak is right for us? The 3 of us are 200 - 240...6'0" - 6'2" needless to say we are not little boys. We originally set out thinking the Dagger Approach 10.0 or the Liquid Logic Remix XP10 were the right boats for us. Then after our trip to a local dealer last week we were leaning more towards the creeker/river running boats like the Habitat 80, Mamba 8.5 or even the Pyranha Everest or Large Burn. The Jeffe, Diesel and a few others were also brought into consideration.

At this point we have thrown out the thought that we can get anywhere with the $300 original investment, and are more in the $1000+ ballpark. What I am hoping to gain here is a little insight towards what kayak I need to be looking for, what experience the community has had with the boats, and what suggestions anyone would have for me based on your experience.

My size, which I am most concerned about is 6'2" 230lbs Size 12 Shoe. Semi Athletic build...or at least at one point it was.

What Creeking Kayaks would you suggest? Buy New? Used? If new, what place gives the best price on a kayak, or even a package? Any help is appreciated.

Bob McClune

RideCoH2o is offline   Reply With Quote