Old 02-28-2011   #21
Carbondale, Colorado
Just made the step up to a 3/4 ton diesel. Love it. I'm not towing farm equipment or excavators or anything like that, so we went with the smaller diesel. Great everyday truck, you can't tell the raft trailer is behind it, even with the slide in pop-up camper on the back. When the pop up camper isn't in, we have a topper. Four doors, full size back seat, all the room for the dogs in back. Cheaper than a same year Tundra with similiar miles, has way more payload, go the same places. I've had Chevy's and now a Ford, work trucks are Dodges - all have their benefits and drawbacks.

watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #22
Layton, Utah

sounds nice for sure

Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might.surprise your self in the attempt
Lowka53-boat-builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #23
Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Paddling Since: 2004
I know several people with gen 1 tundra's(4.7 liter v that have over 300,000 on em, no major issues, two of em have not had any trans work done other than routine maintenance. One of my friends has a 2009 5.7 with 205,000, no problems. I have owned a 2001 dodge cummins turbo diesel, six spd stick, nothing is better for towing than a diesel, however, major repairs, maintenance, fuel and tires all contribute to increase the cost of ownership if the vehicle brings in no income, gassers are the most cost effective vehicle for most drivers.
"Those who are willing to trade security for freedom deserve neither."-Ben Franklin
badswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #24
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We just upgraded our 1994 Toyota (pre-tacoma) 4x4 extra cab with a 2006 double cab Tundra @ 52K miles. Sweet! Great turning radius, smaller feel to driving than one 1 ton van (ugh), and hopefully gets half way decent gas mileage (anything is better than the van and the 1994 got 13-14 pulling the raft trailer). However the stereo sucks, and replacement isn't straightforward. But now the van is our "old rig" so it'll probably still be the rafting/camping vehicle.

We considered the diesel route, but decided the eventual repair costs would more than outweigh loss in mileage with gasoline.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #25
Free and Easy
Granby, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I am not starting diesel wars by any means, but if you are considering one you should also consider the ease of routine maintenance and do-it-yourself tasks, as well as longevity.
If you want a truck that will run forever with low maintenance, consider a Dodge with a 24 valve Cummins and a 6 speed HO tranny. I would argue that the inline-6 Cummins is much easier to work on that the Isuzu and International engines in the Fords and Chevys. It's the same old type of inline-6 that Cummins has been putting in tractor trailers for many many years. It has a lot less electronically controlled components and a much easier engine bay to work in. An Allison tranny behind a Duramax will probably run forever, but if I was buying a Dodge diesel I wouldn't expect their automatic to do the same. If you don't mind shifting gears, you'll get a better service life and cheaper routine maintenance out of a standard ($1000 for a clutch beats $3500 for a new auto tranny). You can run a Cummins till the end of time if you put good quality motor oil in it and take good care of your fuel delivery system.

Of course, the perfect truck is the durability of a Ford chassis around a run forever Cummins engine with a bulletproof Allison behind it.
RiverCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #26
Blue Shiver, CO, Colorado

The 6.0 Ford diesels like to go through injectors....and they are not cheap!! The dodges (Gen 2) have body rattles and front end issues. The chevy's are nice...

That being said I'll take my cummins, despite the rattles and worn ball'll pull a house off the foundation as well as it drops the kids at daycare
smittyvwbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #27
Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Of course, the perfect truck is the durability of a Ford chassis around a run forever Cummins engine with a bulletproof Allison behind it.
Or a Toyota>if you can take the time to smell the roses, otherwise, buy a new Tundra(375hp400+T) or shell out for a blower....
badswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #28
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I bought a 06 double cab Tundra 2 years ago and really enjoy it. The fuel mileage is garbage. Best of 15 on the highway at 75mph, lowest of 11.5 this winter. Tows nice even with the slide in camper on( airbags are a must). I have heard that Tundras without the TuRD package can manage 17-18 on the highway. For crying out loud when will they let us buy the diesel tacoma the rest of the civilized world enjoys? They say they don't meet emissions, and powerstrokes do? Baloney!
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #29
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
My 97 F150 has 225000 miles on it and still runs strong with no major repairs... when it dies I'll buy another one
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #30
Eagle, Colorado
2011 Silverado 1500 crew cab. Really spacious and 21 MPG on the highway. Also, Chevey's have limited 4WD but you can also lock it in 4WD. Most come with rear lockers too. Tundras are great trucks but the gas mileage is horrible. My V8 now gets better gas mileage than my buddie's 6 cylinder Tacoma and it is better than my previous 6 cylinder Frontier. Diesels are great, but unless you are consistenly pulling over 8,000lbs, it seems like they are a little bit of overkill.

nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote