Old 12-17-2012   #1
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Paddling Since: 2010
LL Stomper vs Pyranha Burn

I am looking at either a Liquid Logic Stomper or Pyranha Burn as a new boat for here in NZ. The rivers here are 'creek' i think the american term is though in NZ we call a creek something else. But the rivers are tight and technical with lots of 1m-7m drops and plenty of eddies to catch. It is not often that we get to paddle a super high volume river with no rocks to avoid and we dont have big waterfalls. What is your experience with the burn and stomper and how each paddles and which do you think is best (why?). Its mainly class IV paddling. I am an aggressive paddler and like to catch micro eddies and boof everything. Thanks

NZAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't think you will go wrong with either one. This topic has been discussed in depth...

Stomper: real world feedback?

Would switching to a Stomper from a Burn be an upgrade?

Jefe vs Burn

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #3
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I've paddled both, and the trade-off between them comes down to large drop forgiveness vs. carving abilities. The Burn is a hound for micro eddies with an aggressive entry and lean. If the comparison translates, I liken it to a pair of Volkl skis - you need to be in charge to get the best of it.

For a 7m drop, the rounder hull of the Stomper is going to be much softer on your back when landing flat, but it isn't like the Burn is incapable in that regard. Both have great boofing potential, too.

The third option is the Shiva, which is somewhere between the two, and my personal preference for high volume creeks.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #4
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'll agree with brandob9. If you're in a situation where bouncing over rocks is a common feature of your day, I'd prefer the softer edges of the Shiva or Stomper. I paddle a Shiva and love the boat and have found that it whips into any micro-eddy that I want. The Burn, though, I think is better in higher volume rivers where the hard chines really help hold a line in pushy water. Also, I've never paddled anything that boofs better than a Shiva, that boat flies. I've written a couple of reviews of that boat on my blog linked in my signature.
They're all great boats. You'll have a blast in whichever you're most comfortable.

ps: A NZ whitewater trip almost happened for me this year, but I can't wait to get down there soon.
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #5
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Im flying into Auckland on Jan 8 with a 2012 liquid logic stomper 80 that i will be looking to sell. Let me know if your interested..

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3113993694.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	5416
Craig.roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #6
Mad Scientist/Creeker
For NZ creeks you want the Stomper over the Burn. Better all around creeker, definitely deals with rocks better and still carves quite well when you get to the bigger volume West Coast runs. I am biased but I still believe correct. I have paddled both boats.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #7
Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I also think the stomper would be the better choice of the 2. I've paddled a stomper and own a jefe and burn. I think the stomper boofs easiest and catches micro eddies well for how soft the comes are. I still like the zippy rude if the burn best, but I paddle more high volume creeks/rivers.
boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #8
Appreciating the feedback guys.
RiverWrangler it seems as though you are experienced in south island kayaking in NZ. I am living in the north island so spend most of my time on the wairoa/kaituna/tongariro but am in the south island next year for uni hence i am searching for a new boat to take me up a few levels. I want to be doing runs like the Whitcome, Kokatahi, Upper Perth etc. For those who havent paddled in NZ these two links provide videos to what seems to be common in the south island

As you can see it is fairly steep and technical with plenty of lines that need hitting correctly. Are the stompers edges enough to carve around and hit those lines?
Old 12-26-2012   #9
@Craig, id be looking at a stomper 90 as i am 6ft 4 and 90kg. It appears that you paddle a pyranha burn now? Comparisons? Pros and cons of each boat/ why did you change? Thanks
Old 12-26-2012   #10
Mad Scientist/Creeker
I lived in Rotovegas for awhile so I know all about the Kaituna, Wairoa etc. and I've been to the South Island for two month long trips and been on the Whitcomb and the Perth. First off, the jump from the Rotorua runs to the west coast runs is BIG. It doesn't matter what boat your paddling you better have the skills to run remote, inaccessible and sustained chunky class V to paddle the runs you listed. Those definitely are not the runs to cut your West Coast teeth on. Start with the lower Perth, lower Hokitika, and Arahura.

That being said the Stomper will take you there in terms of a great boat for the West Coast and you are correct you definitely want the 90. The west coast "creeks" tend be higher volume and more pushy than you'd expect but then they tend to still have really creeky moves through huge thundering boulder gardens. It's incredible paddling but not to be taken lightly. Like they say in BC, it's Strong Water. The Stomper is an easy boat to paddle in just about any conditions but I'd say excels in higher volume creek runs because of how easy it is to boof, how it deals with rocks, it's great initial and secondary stability, while still having great speed for it's length, a solid ability to carve and hold a line, and the "land and leave" technology, which basically means when you land a drop it likes to propel forward away from the hole. It's a great boat.

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote