Old 08-27-2012   #21
Columbus, Indiana
This is one of the only sports I've seen where warranty is allowed to be like this, and other people flame you for saying anything bad about a company/warranty. The excuse that "the company is a bunch of boaters" is kind of bogus. Someone should get back to you sooner than 2 weeks. I don't care if they are out "shredding the gnar," they have a business to run, and customers to take care of.

Man, if anything happens like this with a mountainbike, you take it back to the dealer, and they fix it right there and then so you're back out on the trails. I don't get how they expect to just send you the parts and you to do it yourself. Granted, I personally have the tools to do pretty much anything and everything mechanically related. But they can't expect a single one of their customers to be able to wrench themselves at all.

If I buy a full suspension MTN bike, and one of the grease zerks doesnt' work correctly from the factory, am I expected to saw and file off the old one and weld a new one on, or am I considered a cry baby for wanting it to work properly without me having to break out my TIG welder? Some people DO use a drain plug, and it sounds like it's not something that's going to be easily fixed unless this person has some sort of mechanical inclination about things.

Bottom line.....Your boat should work correctly from the dealer, and if it doesn't, it should be taken care of completely by the dealer. You shouldn't be expected to do a thing about it other than taking it back and getting a fixed/replaced boat while you smile on your way back to the river.

seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #22
As A LL dealer, my shop replaced all the seat slider nuts for folks who had bought Stompers. LL contacted us and said they were sending parts our way and if we could please contact customers and have them bring them in for replacement. I agree, I don't now why they tried to use the plastic/brass inserts instead of the milled steel replacements the first time, likely to save weight but lesson learned...

As for the backband keepers, I too agree, the concept is great, but is lacking in function. Unfortunately for you, Edna, the more you move your seat forward the more susceptible they are to popping out. One thing to note is that those keepers can be re-drilled to sit closer to the seat column, sort of trapping the backband between the keeper and the seat column and cockpit lip- See if confluence can do that for you.

One more thing on Customer service, this is hardly an excuse, but it might explain some lags in service- LL just moved their factory back to Asheville from Greensboro, so they are in the middle of a big transition, the phones don't work properly and one of their customer service agents did not make the move, so they are short handed- As a dealer it has been frustrating too, but honestly no different than dealing with MANY of the other vendors we trade with on a daily basis. I wish you the best, If you are ever in Wyoming, we can help you out...

shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #23
Jenks, Oklahoma
I will add my opinion to what has been stated and for what it is worth (zero money!), ednaout is totally justified in her post and expectation of getting a product that works 100 percent out of the dealers shop. She paid top dollar and should get top product and top service from the dealer and manufacturer.

The reason I pay for a new boat from a certified dealer is to get a 100 percent product and if needed, fast repair or replace service from a dealer. That is why you pay the big bucks.

Here lately, new kayaks have reached the price point where it is really hard for me to justify spending the money.

I have started buying either used from private boaters or school/demo boats from dealers.

Most boats have got the job done, but required work by me to get it done. I expect that as part of the deal.

And, for ednaout's information: My well used LL Remix 79 has a drain plug issue as it is hard to get the threads to line up on inserting. The boat does leak quite a bit and I have used several quality skirts. I keep the nuts so forth tightened down, think I will put some glue over them and hope that solves the problem. I have tinkered with the seat adjustment as well, still searching for the sweet spot. All this may well be just me, but it happens.

Having stated all the above, I like the Remix 79 design a bunch, it works well for me.

On the other hand, if I had paid list price at the dealer for a first class boat and had the issues ednaout has, I would have expected much better service than she received. It is sad that to get solutions to problems, people have to post here or on BoaterTalk to get the manufacturer's attention. But, that is the way it is.

One thing I do like about LL is Shane does post responses mostly on BoaterTalk and EJ or his staff does as well. Not sure they monitor the Buzz as much but they are located back east. Their posts are appreciated by me. It is a good thing that the boss is a boater, not a bean counter.

Hang in there ednaout, based on my experience I bet the boat is gonna be worth it soon as the issues get fixed or you learn to live with them.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #24
No leaks for me and love my Stomper

My Stomper is bone dry, I am guessing it is your skirt that might be the issue.
EddieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #25
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Pretty good discussion with a couple of less than helpful posts, but that's to be expected.

As I mentioned in my OP, I love my stomper. I demo'd quite a few boats before I bit the bullet and while I really liked the Nomad, I felt like the Stomper was the boat for me. The drain plug issue is a problem I simply don't have the equipment or the know how to take care of. I've gorilla taped it to try to keep some water out, but still end up with a tremendous amount of water that I just have to take the time to sponge out - not a big deal - not ideal either.
The BA outfitting makes the Stomper the most comfortable I have ever been in, easily. I have coveted those cushy seats for years and am sooooo happy to finally have one of my own! The other outfitting stuff I commented on is simply feedback the LL folks can use or not. Through conversation on the here and on the water, I am not the only one to have run into some of the same issues. I don't think the seat rails popping out their keepers is hindering my boating although at times, I will notice a difference in how the seat feels when they pop out. Luckily, my boof is so bad ass, I can handle it If I were into boat design, I would want to tweak my design so that it does the job that it was intended to do.

One thing to note is that those keepers can be re-drilled to sit closer to the seat column, sort of trapping the backband between the keeper and the seat column and cockpit lip-
This is interesting - seems logical - did you do it?

It's been a fun season despite the low water! Thank god for Bailey!
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #26
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
I still can't figure out how CasperMike is personally vested in LL but holy shit he gets upset when someone says anything negative about LL. It's honestly amazing, no matter what anyone says itís not LL's fault, itís the buyer's.

Anyway, do I love LL's boats, hell yes I do. I personally think they make the best kayaks out here with the exception to play boats. Are they perfect, nope but no company is.
The buyer has to accept a different level of customer service for different companies. Buy a Jackson and you can expect the best. Buy LL and you can expect average customer service. I don't look at it as a knock on LL, I look at it as a compliment to Jackson. Jackson is above every other company in the customer service department.

The back band is what it is. For some reason I don't have the issue you are having but I know of a few of people that do. I would suggest contacting LL and see if they will send you the old style brackets. Put those in a vise, cut half of the top lip off, sand it smooth and install. I did that to my old Remix and it works great. This allows you to flip the seat up and also keeps the ratchet in place where it should be while kayaking. These are the types of brackets LL should have designed for this new tweak.

I would be upset about the drain plug. Sure would such using a sponge to drain an 80 gallon boat. I'm happy to hear LL is taking care of the drain plug issue for you.

The Villian is not the answer

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote