Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 06-29-2013   #1
Russellville, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Liquid Logic Stomper 90 vs Jackson Super Hero vs Dagger mamba

I am looking for a boat that can handle both creeks and big water. All 3 of these boats have a good reputation as being capable of handling both. Would like to get some feedback from people who have used these boats and can tell about their individual characteristics. I live a long ways away from any place that demos these boats so I am more or less having to buy blind? Thanks.

phil891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #2
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
from what i've heard the comparison is more like this:

JK karma & Villain vs. LL Stomper/Jefe vs. WS Habitat/Recon Vs. Pyranha Burn/Shiva vs Dagger Nomad/mamba creeker

River runners:
JK Zen Vs . Remix vs. mamba vs. Ammo

SuperHero is an awesome micro creeking/riverrunning boat comparable to the WS Diesel and maybe the Pyrhana Ammo but higher volume.

I own a SH and love it, but its not the 'big water/waterfall boat' unless its your only creekboat...like in my case. and i dont run class V, but have had a blast on class III/IV creeks and rivers. it also rolls like a champ and turns on a dime. it even surfs well. JK creekers have the anti-shock bulkhead that is a cool feature as well. BUT some people hate the outfitting. I find it works great for me, and is more comfortable then any other brand i've owned. (can stay exponetially longer in the JK boats before my legs go numb.)
one more thing i discovered this summer is that the superhero packs up really well for self support. tons of room for drybags in the bow and stern, and the bulkhead slides in and out on a track really easily for ease of packing the bow. 95 gallons is a big boat. that still paddles

I have heard really good things about the JK Karma from their team at paddlefest in Colorado...fast/stable/ good rocker for resurfacing etc...(granted they are in the biz of selling their newest boats, but they were all genuinely excited about the performance.and gave examples of how fast it is downriver like Dane JK winning the Grand Prix in Chile in the Karma etc... ( taken with a grain of salt since the kid is killing it in any comp he enters.....)

I am not any sort of expert, and totally biased to JK boats so i wont even try to opine on the other boats, but that should give you something to think about....

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That seems like on odd selection of boats. Do you just have a choice between those three given where your live? If so, you should definitely go with the Stomper. IT's a newer generation creekboat that people seem to love.
pbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #4
The Bitterroot, Montana
I own a SH and have demoed the new Mamba and wish I could own both. The new Mamba is a sick boat. Fast, stable, and the best combo of good edge and forgiving I have ever paddled!! The SH is a very sporty fun boat with good edges, fast turning, fun to surf and ferry, great boofing. People don't seem to love it for big water, but it is what EVERY team member used on the Indus, and I like mine on the Lochsa and Kootanai rivers which are pretty big. If I could own both I would use the Mamba when I was Skeered and the SH when I wanted to jib a bit. Also have owned a Villain and Jefe but never paddled a Stomper.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #5
The Bitterroot, Montana
PS, the Villain and Jefe didn't really have enough edge for me, and I demoed a Zen and don't care for it at all. Demoed a Shiva and it seemed cool, but would need more time to give a good opinion. Paddled a Remix a few times and liked it, but not near as much as the Mamba.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Karma. I really like the SH, but it is slow, and doesn't track as straight. Turns easier and still holds a good edge for ferrying, assuming you set it on edge.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #7
SYOTR, Tennessee
If you are only boating in Arkansas any of the three would be fine. The Stomper is a displacement hull though so it will be a little different than the other two. Having said that I have a SuperHero and at 180 lbs am just not heavy enough for it to engage the edges even with a buttload of gear. It's also slow as Christmas. So watch your weight.

Maybe you should try to set up a demo at Rockport with OOO and try a few boats.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #8
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Best boat for you!!

Ill make it simple.. I teach kayaking and I get to demo all the new boats anytime I want.. I have every boat you mentioned at my work and have paddled all or most... most people think they need a creek slash river runner... you should have a river runner and a creeker.. not a one quiver boat.. decide what you do most.. I would assume you actually do 90% river running and little to no creeking... the 3 best boats for river running/creeking/for beginners and experienced as well... super easy to roll... super forgiving.. I assume you need all or most... in this order.. and I have owned 2 of these boats as well.... Remix(best boat made STILL) Mamba(love it) Jackson Zen(dont like the weird plastic they use or the outfitting, my body, not the boat really) all 3 you could run the biggest rivers or the gnarliest of creeks... In my honest opinion .. No boats compare to these 3... ANYWHERE!!! These boats are amazing!!!! Just get the right size!!! sometimes that means one or 2 of these may not be an option... I own a 2013 Remix 79 and I assure you.. it does everything.. sometimes even for you!!!
Minturn Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #9
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Add the Prijon Pure to the list.

If you can't demo I would do a bunch of research and just buy one. They all are great boats and whatever you choose you will learn to paddle it and love it.

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote