Old 07-16-2009   #1
Lexington, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2009
Liquid Logic CR250 w/ Bad Ass Outfitting?

So I live in South Carolina and we have a shop here and i was just wondering (im a newbie) if i should buy a new kayak or a used kayak! I really want the new Liquid Logic CR250 with the Bad Ass Outfitting! What do you guys think?

itsdakotaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
That's a great boat! However as a newbie, I would suggest thinking of the type of boating your be doing most. Most beginners are not the best play boaters. I would demo a few different ones, and see what your most comfortable in. Most mew boats will come with some great outfitting. Have fun on the water!

Airaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #3
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000

After you have paddled for a year, the boat you might want then with be different than what you want now.

Unless your loaded ............then buy yourself and me a new boat.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #4
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
First, the CR. The liquid logic outfitting is super comfortable. Secondly, it's not a true playboat, it's a free-runner or whatever you want to call it. The Biscuit is the playboat, so if you really like the CR go for it. Gets you down the river, and can still help you get basic play stuff down like surfing, stern squirts, cartwheels and loops, at least if you put enough effort into it. It can take you up to Class IV+ if you end up wanting to try creeking. Not that you'd want to paddle it constantly for that, but at least enough to figure out if creeking is for you.

As far as new vs. used goes, I say it depends how dedicated you are going to be. If you are really sure you are going to stick with it, I say buy new. Just be absolutely sure everything is 100% comfortable. That's where demoing boats before purchase comes in to play. The only reason I can think to buy a used kayak when you are starting out is if you can't afford both new gear and a new boat. If you have to choose between a used boat and new gear, or a new boat and used gear, get the former not the latter.
CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #5
Lexington, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2009

I totally agree! i am deffinetly not loaded but i work my ass off! im only 16 so the odds of me gettin a new boat are pretty slim cuz theres no way to pull 1000 or so bucks outta my ass! i wish i could but i might be able too!
itsdakotaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #6
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
definitely find a shop with demo boats and try a couple first.... sometimes one brand wont fit as comfortable as another depending on your body type. also there is three sizes, depending on your height and weight, and the 250 is the biggest,for paddlers up to 250 lbs. I have been looking at the same boat, and i am pumped to try one at the CKS sale (if youre in CO.)
other comparable boats are the Wavesport EZG (as long as its not one with crappy plastic) and the jackson fun series...Ihave an EZG60 and it done well for me, but i am not quite comfortable with the thigh braces, I have pretty thick skier thighs {thunder thighs ?!). Riverplay is the way to go for a newer/less aggresive boater as they should be more stable and forgiving, but you can learn to play, as stated above.
LL's are definitely the most cush, with highest quality components, IMHO. Also shops sell their demos at the end of the summer sometimes.... usually for pretty cheap. good option for most of us.

abron is offline   Reply With Quote