Old 03-04-2010   #21
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Stig, thanks for your response and explanation. Any business is a learning experience and in the future when I ante up and get a drysuit I'll definitely look into getting a Level 6. I'm always happy to help out a fellow Scandinavian

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #22
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980

You might also consider having a warranty label that spells out that the product is only warranted by the manufacturer for the original purchaser, and only then as long as the purchaser has the receipt. That will give prospective buyers accurate information, and a basis to make good decisions about which manufacturer's product to purchase.

swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #23
Ottawa, Ontario
LOL @ this thread. Sounds to me like Next is misrepresenting what they're selling. From what this Stig guy said, Next only bought a closeout of seconds from them, meaning the suit had to be a second, regardless of how it was tagged. As he said, the original run of suits were built for retail, but never sold at retail after the defect was detected. So they would have been tagged as a regular product from the get go. Plus SRP on the Barrier is $849 - so should have been an indication from the outset.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've bought "factory seconds" before, and all were dirt cheap, and none had any sort of MFG warranty attached. It's pretty much implied. This on everything from pool cues (Predator and Meucci), to electronics (Pioneer) to clothing. Why would a paddling company be any different? I think the onus is on the retailer to make the customer aware of what they're getting.

Maybe their was a miscommunication between Next and Level 6, but whatever the reason, I wouldn't dismiss Level 6 as a company for this one incident. Every single piece of my gear is Level 6 - from neoprene booties, lunchbox shorts, guide shorts, pogies, PFD (now disc) to drytop and rash guards. I have never EVER had an issue with any of their products. Plus the company is relatively new to the scene and trying out new products and designs instead of sticking with tried and trued, which is nice to see. And no, I don't work for Level 6 I actually work for an outdoor store in Ottawa, and have my pick of all the top brands (incl Kokatat).

politbureau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #24
Next Adventure sells new Level 6 stuff.. As I said in a previous post, they sell seconds in a separate room with used gear as far as I can tell. Also this particular suit leaked at the waist as well as the booties. The suit is being repaired, and Level 6 says they are making it right. End of story for me. I'm sure that both Level 6 and Next Adventure would prefer that this thread just die.
Old 03-08-2010   #25
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Unlike most retailers, NA does not operate in that manner.
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #26
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This is getting beaten a bit, but my .02. Your issue should have first been handled by the retailer where you purchased the suit. Level 6 needs to manage their products and take more care in who is allowed to be a retailer. If a retailer sells a 2nd as a 1st then that is grounds for them losing their brand altogether.

Originally Posted by swiftwater15 View Post

But just for the Buzzard's information, the suit wasn't a second, a blem or anything else. I paid $439 for it. It had all the tags, and none of them said anything about "second." Next Adventure has sold some seconds, but they put them in the room with the used gear.

Interestingly, I bought this suit to replace a Kokatat Tropos that I bought used from Alaska Kayak School. That suit had a minor bootie leak when I got it. I called Kokatat, and they said to send it in, and that they'd fix that leak, pressure test it, and fix any other leaks it had as well. They didn't ask for a receipt, or ask how much I paid for it. They just knew it was one of theirs, and stood behind their product.

My experience with Kokatat is they take care of their customers, no receipt or price disclosure. If you have leaks, they fix them, but on used garmets it is for a cost. You said you bought a used kokatat suit with a leak in the bootie, a high wear place that probably was from wear. So in the interest of full disclosure and keeping a company's warranty reputation clear, did you pay for the repair?

Also, if that suit wasn't a 2nd and you paid $439, how much are their 2nds? That just sounds fishy to me. If I saw a brand new kokatat gore-tex drysuit for 1/2 price, I'd ask a few more questions before shelling out the cash.

I also agree with the buzz on this one, a second is a cosmetic blem, not a leaky drysuit. Nobody sells brand new 2nd boats that are cracked, that you can get from the buzz classifieds and you are on your own. You don't buy a 2nd helmet or pfd that can't stand up to its original purpose. Level 6 needs to keep their leaky 2nds for their team paddlers and family/friends. Your reputation is on the line when you send it out to be sold at a retailer's discretion.

Kokatat is made in the USA and they do all their repairs in house and as everyone here knows their customer service is top notch. IR (great customer service btw), NRS, and Palm are made in Asia (I'm pretty sure Level 6 is the same and that would make sense why they are just paying the bill from the repair shop Rainy Pass instead of repairing it themselves).
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #27
Just wanted to follow up for the sake of the buzzards. Luke Spencer, the local Level 6 rep, worked with the company to get me a new drysuit. I tested it this winter in one of those unfortunate long swims; the kind that sucks your booties off. The suit worked great, and I'd have no qualms recommending one in the future.
Old 06-18-2012   #28
Annan, Dumfriesshire
Paddling Since: 2008
Level 6 barrier drysuit

I am on my third level 6 barrier drysuit now in a month and a half. I bought the first one as I really liked the styling and fit of the suit, but it leaked through the sock, the replacement one leaked through the crotch area!! The third seems ok but I've only been out in it twice and didn't really test it fully as staying in the boat was was safer. I hope this is not an indication of quality as I have spent quite a considerable amount of money on this suit and want/expect better.

Torchy is offline   Reply With Quote